Re: Buying 92-94 Taurus - engine & heater?

(Mark C.)

against

decision.

brother had

qualms

market.

at

Of all the cars I've owned over the years....
Olds was the most trouble-free and luxurious, but hardest to work on.
Fords' my choice for best all round & least trouble except whining power steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).
Chevy 300 small block best engine around, always had to rebuild trans at 70K miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).
Toyota was good least problem of any car I've had. But price is too high these days.
Mitsubishi (DSM) mixed feelings - good running but repeating problems with computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.
On 5/28/2013 10:30 AM, Guv Bob wrote:

steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).

miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).

computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.

heh - I had a Mitsubishi once...1980...Biggest POS, esp with the carb...Had a wax pellet that controlled the choke and when the car warmed up, the pellet would relax and lower the idle, when it got cold it retracted. The damn thing would wear out and you would have to replace the carb, which had more hoses and tubes connected to it than a quadruple heart by-pass patient....
My most reliable cars have been my Fords...F-150 - Heck, even my 1976 Granada was hard to kill...pos one barrel carb, but could never kill that straight 6. My 1993 6 cyl T-Bird was in the range of the topic, and *did* have the issue with the head gasket...blew at 111K miles and had a nice smoke cloud behind me a Prestone shooting out on the exhuast. Did a Head gasket job, and sold it with 211K miles with no other problems....
My GM's I seem to always have electrical issues, and will never buy another. 1993 Buick dash was always screwed up....same on my '06 Saturn Vue...Windshield wipers not working occasionally, press the volume up button and volume goes down on the radio, and every time the electric radiator fan goes on, the traction control light on the dash comes on, then turns off when the fan does....some wacky crap...
We are in the market now for an inexpensive family car - Look at the Kia's - Disappointed....tinny, uncomfortable and way over priced. Check out the Nissan Sentra, some of hyundia's offerings, the Toyota Camry & Corolla but way overpriced for what you get, and and then Ford. Looked at the Fiesta and when the drivers seat is back it's hitting the back seat and was overpriced in my opinion for what you get - That's out. The Focus is marginally ok for us size wise (my wife and I are tall, not fat!..lol with 2 tall kids for the back seat) ,.... But we really liked the Fusion - some good incentives and got a price on a '13 for $20,500. Doing so research and thinking about that one...Still in the vetting process and don't want to rush, even if the offer for that is only good till the end of the month, I'm sure other sales will come again.. :)

steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).

miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).

computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.

Have you looked at the Dart? Lots of reviews say they are very good.

steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).

miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).

computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.

I've had a couple Mitt so shitties too over the decades.

The wax choke thermostat was only the least of the problems with that carb - I replaced them with Holley Weber carbs from Pintos and Vegas MANY times.

The old 3.8 was a bit fragile - likely the worst Ford engine marketed in North America since the original Flathead.

Not called the "Garageman's Companion" for nothing!

Fusion-Perhaps the best proven value in North America at this time. The new Dart and Chrysler 200 may give it a run, but the jury is still out - not enough experience yet.

on.

power steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).

trans at 70K miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).

high these days.

problems with computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.

exhuast.

Saturn

Check

Looked

not

liked

$20,500.

good

Good to hear that about Fords. I heard something on the radio where Ford was returning to knobs instead of the push & hold digital types. Said that people like being able to reach over and find knobs while driving without having to look down and then look up to see a telephone pole coming at them.