Re: Calipers and Rotors, 1993 Taurus

Take it to a transmission shop and have the trans evaluated/serviced, then following a successful visit there goto a shop to have the 3.8 cooling system serviced, if its ok, then get the brake work done. On a Taurus of
that vintage the brakes are the least of your worries. Oh yeah, and one more thing, have the a/c serviced also before you get the brakes done.

The AC was serviced before I got it.
As is typical with the 93 and 94 models, the ac hose is in a place where it can easily be perforated or punctured. Apparently this is what happened, so last summer they had it replaced.
Thanks for the advice.

The Bathtub Admiral wrote:

the parts on the rear brake job should be about $30 per rotor from auto zone and the brake pads from pep boys(raybestoes pads for about $30 and that will give you $60 for the rotors(two of them) and the brake disc for $30 it totals $90 the most... i would not pay someone $500 for this job.. do you have any fluid leaking in the rear??? probably not.. also buy a tool to attach to the rear brake calipers to screw the rear caliper piston back in so the pads will have room to go in to the caliper... one afternoon and you are finished. and you pocket the $500 that he would have......

Not to get all girly, but... um, I'm a girl. I can check my oil. I can pump my own gas. I can even change my tire -- maybe. I can give myself a jump start and I once replaced a filter... that's about it.
I'd ask one of my guy friends, but... they're all gay.
Thanks though. :)
chiknphat wrote:

cars......
I had the same problem on my 95, I did the job Buy replciing the pads, rotors and pins.. The calipers are usually good, it's the pins that hang, causing the caliper to cock.
BUT you have to turn in the piston/adjustor. takes a special tool, but RENT one from aurtozone dont buy the cheapo.
Maybe you could turn on your girly-girl wiles.. and get some help. ;)
BTW, that guy full of it..
A new car at 120k has the same problems as a mid sixties car did at 60k
MANY people have cars that have turned 200k

If I lived in her neck of the woods I could do the job for half that price, with all new stuff. That guy probably was joking when he said $650+. I checked a dealer and it is not even that much with them.

"S.E.W" wrote:

Just for grins i did some checking on line. the rear disk brake parts are NOT cheap. If you put two loaded calipers on it with two new rotors of brand name quality and pins, its still high, but not totally outrageous. I am glad i got drums on the back of mine. And the front rotors are relatively cheap.
I agree though, the calipers are probably OK. New pins and lube maybe.
BOB
BOB
Yea, the pads probably were just worn down to the metal backing plate, and chewed up the rotor. Seen that happen many times. A pair of good rotors, a set of good pads, , slide pin grease, and some disc brakes quiet, a couple quarts of brake fluid to flush the lines, should not cost more than $100.00.
And don't start anything about Disc vs. Drums. I changed my rear disc pads at 95,000 miles. They are just about maintenance free. Would not trade them for anything.

Me too... the ONLY unsolvable problem on my 93 Tbird is the rear drums... @#$%^&*