Re: Chain Auto Repair Shops Upselling

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:03:13 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

You should have bailed when he said it was a better tire with no other explanation.
I'm fortunate to have a small independent tire shop in town that really takes care of customers. He's been taking good care of the family cars for 30+ years.
Glad it worked out for you in the end.

got there, they "were out" of that tire. But had the next more expensive in that type on hand for $15 more each. All the specs, including speed rating, etc., were the same online. I asked what's the difference, and was told "this one is a much, much better tire."

The first shop is the same one that aligned it last month, adjusting it just barely within tolerance. Used to be an excellent shop with long-time mechanics. Now all experienced sales people & mechanics are gone. If it were not in such a good location, I would expect it to close down. Will keep looking around here for a plain old garage where you work directly with the mechanic.