Re: Cigarette Lighter Not Working in '93 Grand Marquis

> Hi all. > > I was driving on Sunday - I plugged the cell phone charger into the > lighter and it was working fine as it always has. > > The charger I have bends at a 135 degree angle so I tried rotating the > lighter 180 degrees (while plugged in) so the garbage bag wouldn't > keep falling off. > > After I tried rotating it, the lighter stopped working. (I did hear a > crack when I turned it in the socket). > > I figured I just broke the charger but the lighter doesn't work > either. > The manual says the clock and fuel filler door are on the same fuse > and those > both work so I assume the fuse isn't blown. > > Could I have killed lighter socket by turning something that was > plugged into it? > I looked inside and there are two metal clips opposite each other. > Could I have bent one of those so a contact is no longer made when > something gets plugged in? > > Any ideas? Does AutoZone sell replacement lighter sockets and is it a > pain to change? > > If I do have to replace the socket, can I replace it with a regular > electrical receptacle instead of another lighter socket? Does anybody > make a generic one?

disconnect the battery and put in a new lighter(auto zone, pep boys, advance/discount auto store) cost about $4.95 or less...... then reattache the battery....

Reply to
jim

well if you had the shop manual you could probably see what is behind the lighter and know what to do.. but on a taurus this is what i did.. disconnect the battery... then feel in the back of the ash tray for the wire going to the cig. lighter, pull it off and then use some needle nose pliers and put them into the socket of the cig. lighter and open the pliers slightly and turn the socket slightly while holding the back of the lighter and it will come off.. a lot of turning.. if the pliers dont hold enough then you got to grab the lip of the front part of the lighter.. and try to turn it this way....

Reply to
jim

I fixed it. It turned out to be a blown fuse. But what I don't understand is that owener's manual says that the fuse that controls the lighter also controls the clock and fuel filler door. Those both worked - it wasn't that fuse that blew - it was a different one.

Are Ford's owner's manuals known for giving incorrect or incomplete information? It mentions no other fuse for the lighter. Any idea what could have happened here?

Reply to
JAG