Re: Consumer Reports 2007 Auto Survey

Page 3 of 3

It probably will. If you consider the Camry and the Fusion as comparable, the Fusion offers a price advantage and if the reliability is there, people will carefully consider the Fusion.
However, it won't happen overnight. I was impressed enough with the ratings of Ford on some things to consider one this summer. My wife, however, remembers very well how Ford treated us before and said, "NO!"
The reason that GM and Ford still sell any cars at all is because it take time to lose market share. The flip side is that it also takes time to gain it. They're also lucky that 40% of US auto buyers will absolutely not consider an Asian car, no matter what. And their market share is getting down towards this hard core.
I don't have the figures in front of me but let's say, for the sake of argument, that CR says Ford is 20% more reliable than a Camry. Personal Ford history and spousal input aside, what do I do next year if I want a sedan? There's a good chance I'd buy a Camry. Why? Because my current Toyotas have given satisfaction and, on a personal basis, the Ford is unkown. I can lean towards it over other makes but if I'm happy with what I have, why switch? If a Camry is significantly more expensive, I might reconsider. If the Fusion has features I really like, I'll consider that.
If you look at CR, you can tell which pages are Honda and Toyota pages by the dominant colors. Those two automakers, while not quite perfect, have been v-e-r-y consistent and consistent across all their products. This is important. Ford can have a great frist year with the Fusion but they're going to need several years of consistent performance to build trust. And some of us are going to look at the other Ford models when deciding what to buy, so Ford's got some work to do there, too. Why? Well, suppose they switch production at one plant from <whatever> to Fusions? Or changes plant managers or the engineering team or the QC team... or any kind of changes. What happens to quality? If Ford has a consistent "quality ethic" that shows across their entire product line, then you know that when they make changes they're going to do them right.

By the way, talking about the Fusion, my brother in law rents one regularly when visiting the area and although they appear to be decent cars the weatherstripping looks incredibly cheap.

I am having a hard time understanding this comment. I thought Ford went overboard on the weather stipping. They not only have the sandard door frame to door stripping, they also have an additional section that fills in the gap between the edge of the door and the roof / A / B / C pillars.
Ed
On 18 Apr 2007 23:21:56 -0700, larry moe 'n curly

Yes, my point exactly. CR briefly reported that info, which made their favorite cars look bad, so they stopped reporting it. Some people would like to know BOTH bits of info. It's nice to have a 'reliable' car but if you have to choose between a Chevy that will break down once every two years and cost you $300 to fix, versus a Mercedes that will breakdown every 3 years but cost you $3000 to fix, you might well decide the "unreliable" Chevy is a MUCH better deal. Keep in mind, that the actual difference in the amount of problems on most of these cars is quite trivial despite how CR makes them look with all the black dots.

Because you can only bend the truth just so far.