Re: Consumer Reports reliability survey for Cars

I've enjoyed CR tests and yearly reviews since the days when they thought that an AM radio was a needless luxury. (I'm not kidding - they were against radios, whitewalls, automatic trans, power steering.........everyone should have a Rambler or Studebaker Scotsman)

But I stopped taking them seriously when I noticed that their experiences were nothing like my own......when their charts showed some years of MGBs were more reliable than others (I had one: none were reliable and they never changed a thing so how would one year have a better transmission or heater?) .... and then they downrated one year Corvette as having worse rust problems than the other. Real experts, there.

I can give you first hand experience with some "fine German cars"........first, they are all grossly overpriced here compared to what they sell for on their home soil - a Volvo sells here for about the same as in Sweden, but German cars are marked-up about 50% over home market. Second, the cost of maintenance is ruinous: if you maintained it the way they Germans recommend, a Yugo would last forever.

I gave-up after one BMW: yes, most of the repairs were covered by warranty, but why should the brakes, wheels and tires need to be replaced 3 times in one year? Just one of many problems. It was a 7 series and part of the original sales pitch was the wonderful resale value........no one would give me much for trade-in and it took over a year to sell it privately (for nearly 50% less than book value).

My neighbor is lucky: his company provides him with 2 new lease cars of his choice every 2 years. First, he got a big and a little Benz for he and his wife. Nothing but woe. Then they got 2 BMWs. Nothing but woe. Now they have 2 Audis: the V8 and a smaller one for her. They say they like them better than the other makes and they are less trouble......but they also have the advantage of not paying for them. And the folks at the country club are dazzled.

I have 2 '06 Fords: a Mustang and a Five Hundred. Not a lot of status, but neither has ever had to go back to the dealer even once. They might not be ideal for a day on the autobahn, but they work pretty good for driving in the USA>

Reply to
Itsfrom Click