Re: Consumer Reports reliability survey for Cars

> The J.D. Powers surveys also rank Toyota highly

Not to start another rant, but J.D. Powers will rank highly whoever pays them. That's why you see the auto company ads stating "Best vehicle of the year according to JDP" and 4 different companies have 4 different models each that won. Kinda hard to believe that every vehicle out there is the "Best of the year." But that's just my opinion, I may be wrong. . .

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

JD Powers collects data to sell to auto companies. They publish part of the data in an effort to create a brand, but they sell a lot more information than they give away.

I believe the JD Powers data (as far as it goes) is more reliable than the CR data. I have filled out surveys for both. The CR data collection scheme is rudimentary, non-random, and the data reporting scheme is designed to emphasize very small differences. People who defend CRs data like to emphasize the fact that CR doesn't take money from advertisers. While true, it is irrelevant. CR has to please the subscribers and keep them interested in buying the magazine. Suppose they started saying that all cars were pretty much the same - would that make for a "must have magazine?" CR slants their reports to suit their own needs (the need to attract and keep subscribers and to promote their particular somewhat nanny state agenda). I enjoy reading CR, but I am never going to confuse their reporting with absolute truth.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

CRs annual reliability tables are supposedly compiled from the surveys they mail to subscribers. I don't know how much the figures are massaged, but one would think that people who have had a bad experience with a car are more likely to vent and return the survey than those who are satisfied.

Then, you've got to adjust for the mentalty of the public, most of whom aren't "car people"..........like those who downgrade a Jeep Wrangler for it's ride or "body integrity".........what did they expect? There are knuckleheads who are surprised that their Excursion gets bad gas mileage or their Suburban towing a 40 foot trailer in the mountains wears out breaks. And people who buy a Chevy and never change the oil, but take their Beetle or Scion to the dealer every 5000 miles for a going-over.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

No automobile ever needs an oil change. It's just propaganda promoted by motor oil companies to maximize profits.

Reply to
Rick Cooper