Re: Cylinder Missfire

If you are diagnosing your own problem and tell a service writer that you

>want part(s) x and y replaced he will more than likely tell you go somewhere >else or do it yourself.

This isn't what I meant. The owner is not telling the service manager anything other than the complaint; ie, misfiring. What is happening is the service writer takes a stab at the diagnosis, either with or without his mechanic's evaluation, and writes up a work order, listing parts to R & R or adjustments to make or whatever. Then he has the owner sign the work order. The work is performed as written and the owner pays. Even if the problem persists, the owner has little or no comeback to the dealer because the dealer did do the work. What I suggest is after the service manager writes up his work order, the owner has him add the phrase "TO FIX THE PROBLEM OF MISSFIRING (OR WHATEVER). Then, if it turns out to be a misdiagnosis on the part of the all-knowing service writer, its his problem, not the owner's to pay again and again until the problem is fixed or the owner gives up and trades in his car.

The idea is to pay for fixing the problem; not to pay for a laundry list of procedures that don't fix the problem. If your shop uses an amateurish shotgun approach of wholesale parts replacement and refuses to commit itself to a solution on a given work order, then find another shop. If its a dealership, complain to Ford.

Reply to
George Orwell

If automotive and electrical work was a perfect science then I suppose your idea would work. Often the obvious problem is repaired and an obscure or masked problem shows up. If a warrantee claim can be filed everybody is happy but that's usually not the case. The good old days weren't that good ..... lets say a 2 year old 1955 Chevy or Ford, 60k on the odometer and it needs a VALVE JOB !! No electronics involved or Check Engine Lights then, could run several thousand more miles if you could tolerate the smoke, but the trickle down effect of the repair was still there. Shortened exhaust system life from being disturbed, piston ring blow-by etcetera. But, somehow the mechanic ruined the points, condenser and the rear bumper rattled after the repair. To make matters worse the AM radio station that's a thousand miles away can no longer be dialed in. I feel your frustration, been on both sides of the fence. But, if God hands you a Sunkist orange please don't hand it back and ask him to peel it.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

I think his excellent advice is based on the notion that its *not* perfect science. That being the case, the dealer should not have the luxury of having customers pay for on the job training of his employee's.

Reply to
F.H.