Re: Detroit stuff IS crap

I'm so happy you bought in to that Jap scrap hype. As a Toy mechanic for many years, I can assure you that they are no better.
wrote in messagenews:elmop-

If you ever were a Toyota mechanic you must have been fired shortly after being hired (minutes later?) for your Detroit attitude toward customers.
As has been noted here-there are a LOT of *former* Detroit customers out there that, when buying a car, would never think to consider a Detroit product after being treated so shamefully by them. Detroit has shot itself in both feet repeatedly and has brought the ongoing disaster on themselves. Toyota and Honda quality is the average with an occasional blip whereas Detroit's "quality" is sub-standard on average with an occasional blip up.
Your comprehension level is about as high as your mentality level.......extremely low. I said for many years as a toy mech, all at the same shop. And I can say for absolute certainty, they are no better. I 've seen all kinds of crap from management all the way to corporate levels, to hide and bury things. And a lot of mechanics will tell you also, if they are honest.

You are in a state of permanent denial and are paying the price-drive Detroit and lose.

You were a Toyota mechanic for many years. Were you also a Ford, Chrysler, or GM mechanic so you have something to compare to? I was a Toyota mechanic for 12 years of the 25 I spent wrenching for a living. I was also an AMC and Mazda and Jeep and International Trucks mechanic, as well as working in general repair, where I got to work o and see it all. Was Toyota perfect? Nope. They had their issues - most of which were shared with the other manufacturers of the specific time period.
Body rust (when fords crumbled at the curb) brake rotor issues(when asbestos was legislated away- and everyone had trouble) some radiator problems (when plastic tanks were adopted by EVERYONE, and they all had failures) They had some first model year issues like everyone else - but all told, they had fewer problems, and TMS/CMI (Toyota Motor Sales /Canadian Motor Industries) got them solved, and the customers looked after in a more timely manner than most other manufacturers. The rusty body seam on the 2 peice pickup box side was the one issue I cannot figure out why it took so long to remedy. The other buggaboo was the steel cored plastic trim that had a tendancy to self destruct after about 7 years in good conditions, and 3 in less than optimum conditions. But to be fair, at that time a 7 year old FORD had totally disintegrated in many cases, and a 7 year old Chevy door had bottom vents that didn't come from the factory, so bad trim wasn't a real big issue in the grand sceme of things. If it was not for Toyota and a few other Japanese manufacturers holding Detroits feet to the fire, we'd all still be driving 73 Torinos and LTD 2s. (shudder at the thought) Or Dodge Ash Bins and Ominous Omnis, and Horendous Horizons. Don't forget the Vega and Pinto, and the AMC Spirit (the 4 cyl descendent of the Gremlin). The biggest mistake GM made on the Chevette was putting a single exhaust on it. It's kinda hard to push a wheelbarrow with only one handle.

What's wrong with Torinos? My first car was a 73 Montego. Even at 11 years old when I bought it it was in good shape and ran well. I wish Ford still made cars like that
On Apr 1, 1:35 pm, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

On 1 Apr 2007 15:50:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

Here in the "rust belt" you could sit in small town Ontario and listen to the Fords rusting. Three year old Torinos with the mirrors and doorhandled falling off, with chunks of metal attatched.

At least they lasted two years longer than the Jap cars and trucks of the day LOL
mike
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 21:07:09 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

same way, and usually not as quickly, believe it or not. FIATs rusted faster, for sure. Not the same kind of rust, but faster and more serious.

Fiats rusted in the holds of the ships on the way over. Jap cars rusted away after two year in the rain or one bad winter LOL
mike
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

I owned a couple of Torinos and Montegos. I owned three Pintos, '71,75,79. I put over 150K trouble free miles on the 75 and 79 then gave them to my relatives who put another 100k on them. I still own the '71 that cost me $1,885 in 1970. 300K on the clock still looks great, all original interior, and drive train. I repainted it in 1988, just did a C & V job a few moths ago. It still blows the doors off the Jap cars that like to race me on the mountains round here. It always wins awards, in it class, at old car shows. By the way I seldom if ever see any old Jap cars, except for a low mileage 'Z' or RX7 on occasion, at any of those shows ;)
mike