Re: Different Brake shoes different temperature

Do different types of brake shoe lining

> cause the brake drums to heat to different > temperatures. > > I have two different types of linings on my rear drums, > one drum gets hot and the other gets hotter, > after 10 km of city driving. > > Thanks in advance > Denny > > > >

Sounds like you answered your own question.

..

Reply to
Fred

Thomas Moats

He's conducting experiments.

Reply to
berkshire bill

Because I am in the process of doing a brake job and only had time to do one side and in the next day or so will do the other side.

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Yes you are sort of correct, the linings I am using as a replacement are premium linings from Canadian Tire. The drum that is cooler I purchased from a brake shoe rebuilder and they were the type I was told that was used by taxi cabs and the police. Unfortunately that company has moved and I cannot trace them. Canadian Tire shoes are bonded the others were riveted.

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Bonded vs. riveted should not be an issue. The material is probably different, with different coefficients of friction and the particular type of drum. In addition, the force applied to the brakes is probably different, in part because there is probably different thickness of brake shoes, even if only a little different. In addition, the system is not perfect and probably is a little different on one side or the other. Plus the two different drums probably have different amounts of metal. If you apply the same amount of heat to a different amounts of metal, the drum with the less metal should get hotter.

The fact that the one heats up less might mean that one is poorer at braking.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Utz