Re: Elderly man needs help

I have a ford contour 4cyl 1996 over 100,000 miles on it. nothing but

> trouble with the check engine light has been diagnosed as having bad > catalytic converter took it to a muffler shop nothing wrong with the > converter how do i disconnect the light ford will not help me i live on > a pension and ford wants $75 per hour to look at it they won't tell me > how many hours it's going to take i do like the car bought it new it's > my last car at my age thanks

How did they tell it was not bad? I bet it probably is, if the puter is flagging the code. I'm not sure how to turn off the light. You "might" be able to reset it by unhooking the battery for a few seconds and reconnecting, but not sure on that model. But it will probably trip again. I'd try to find the real problem, so the light doesn't come on. I'm curious why they think it's not the cat, if the puter flagged it as bad. If you don't want to get a cat, I'd just ignore the light, or stick some tape over it...MK

Reply to
Mark Keith
96 cars are OBD-2. you have 02 sensors before and after the catalytic converter. the computer is reading them both and calculating things. it sets teh light on when things don't add up. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. The fix may be a reprogram to the computer - YOU MUST GO TO FORD and pay what they want. sorry, ford made the car and only ford can update the computer with a ford made program.

they may have to do that and the light may come back on - you will then need to replace hte cat converter. sorry, but that's the way it is.

In the very near future, Pennsylvania will be doing away with the tailpipe sniffing emmissions test - on 96 and newer they will go my the light - if it is on, YOU FAIL. No arguing. In your case, you fail, and cannot drive your car until fixed.

chris

Crispy

Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid.

Reply to
Chris P

It is a common problem with Contour. Look around the Internet and you will find hundreds of similar stories. I think there is nothing wrong with your car. I suggest that, given your situation, you just ignore the light and go on using your vehicle normally. If it bothers you, cover it with tape or something. Trying to fix it at this point is waste of money.

Reply to
Grippen