Re: for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 2 of 4
wrote:

As it approaches the limits of measurability, 100% difference may not be mathematically significant.
On 04/04/2010 10:04 AM, hls wrote:

does that excuse work with taxes?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

I have no horse in this race, but to answer your question about taxes - yes - you can round to the nearest dollar (in spite of the fact that you could carry everything to pennies). You picked a poor example to support your case.
--
Bill Putney
On 04/04/2010 10:17 AM, Bill Putney wrote:

so if i owe a few $k, that's insignificant compared to the national budget, and i can "round down", right?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

No, but if you owe either $0.24 or $0.48 (100% difference), you can.
--
Bill Putney
On 04/04/10 13:23, jim beam wrote:

No, there are rules for rounding. *Estimates*, however, are a very different matter altogether! :)

In fact, 500% difference may be totally inconsequential.
On 04/04/2010 03:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

yeah. my civic with 20k mile oil change intervals is 500% broken.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

That is assuming you actually GET those advantages.

But not all synthetic oils are PAO

Or a 50% reduction, to be accurate.
On 04/04/2010 03:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

if you're using them, how can you /not/ get them???

right. the majority sold here are in fact group III's. the next biggest seller is group IV, pao's. ester-based motor oils are a tiny minority.

increasing from 2ppm to 4ppm is 100%. to be accurate.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Now.... a lot is going to depend on what you call cold... -40 is a God-given fact for several days a year where I live... it's gonna happen, drop your purse and hold you jacket closed, pansy...
I run dino oil... I cannot justify the expense of synthetics and most of you guys can't tell the difference between cracked synthetics and PAO synthetics anyway.
Don't get me wrong.. run synthetic if you want... I put it in a customers engine every time they ask. But I'm going to have a real hard time recommending it to people that don't need it...

On 04/03/2010 09:19 PM, Jim Warman wrote:

<top posting fixed>
> Now.... a lot is going to depend on what you call cold... -40 is a God-given > fact for several days a year where I live... it's gonna happen, drop your > purse and hold you jacket closed, pansy... > > I run dino oil... I cannot justify the expense of synthetics and most of you > guys can't tell the difference between cracked synthetics and PAO synthetics > anyway. > > Don't get me wrong.. run synthetic if you want... I put it in a customers > engine every time they ask. But I'm going to have a real hard time > recommending it to people that don't need it... > >
if you change your oil every 3k miles...
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 04/04/10 00:19, Jim Warman wrote:

FEH! Practically any weather around here is fine if one is dressed for it.
On 4/1/10 9:31 AM, in article hp2amp$cn1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, "C.

Did you read the stuff you just posted (bolow)? It says 3750 (severe) and 7500 (normal).

Yes I did. I understood that the two mileage requirements were 3750 (Severe) & 7500 (Normal). What I was commenting on was the line that said - "Their definition of normal also pretty much leaves out everybody."
While Nissan tends to push owners toward the "severe" schedule more than than other companies, I was trying to make the point that the regular schedule does not leave everybody out. I should have been more explicit in what I was discussing. To be clear, I think most Nissan drivers can use the regualr schedule. Honestly, why would anyone call a schedule "Normal" and then claim it wasn't? If they meant for the 7500 mile schedule to apply to only a few owners, they should have called it "light duty" or "unstressed" but certianly not "normal." I think Nissan was trying to both claim extended maintenance (competitive advantage for selling cars) and encourage people to go to their dealer more often (aftermarket profit motive). Nissan explicitly said you didn't need to use the "Premium Service" to maintain your warranty.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

I've read more than one account on Chrysler LH car flrums where it was claimed that Chrysler refused to cover a 2.7L engine failure when the customer had receipts showing the oil was changed at the dealer on the Schedule A. Reason for turning the claim down: There is no such thing in the real world as Schedule A service. Everything is Schedule B. Claim denied. I can't swear that the posters were telling the truth, but that's what was claimed.
--
Bill Putney
On 4/1/10 3:54 PM, in article hp314u$cr8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, "C.

I ignore the "premium" category as mostly fluff that probably serves the purpose you suggest (dealer profit), but they have changed the names of the other two in the "Service and Maintenance Guide" for '08 & '09. Now there is "Premium Schedule", Schedule 1 and Schedule 2. It still says you don't have to follow the Premium schedule to maintain the warranty, but Schedule 2 (what used to be called "Normal") has this disclaimer: "Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions."

And you ignore that advice at your peril on an Altima or Maxima.
Quite a few in the scrap-yard around here with mint bodies because the cost of needed engine repairs equals or excedes the resale value of the car in running condition.
On 4/2/10 10:44 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

From the (G37) maintenance schedule: "Infiniti developed Premium Maintenance for owners who want the ultimate in preventative maintenance." What they call Schedule ! Is the "severe" schedule with 3750 miles oil changes and checks. There is no peril in not following the "premium" schedule on an Altima or Maxima (unless having that extra cash in your wallet constitutes peril).
E. Meyer wrote:

Sarcasm,right? :)