Re: for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 3 of 4

Aimed at the same people who have always used "premium" fuel, simply because "it's premium". Also, "if it costs more, it MUST be better."
There are those here and elsewhere who would tell you, "if you can't afford the service, then you can't afford the car." They use that to defend a Lexus ES350 oil change costing $150 compared to the $30 oil change on the same engine over at the Toyota dealer.
Those people are defending their burning need to BELIEVE.
And Infiniti has chosen, brilliantly, to cater to people who WANT cash to leave their pockets. That cash is GOING to leave their pockets no matter what; Infiniti figured it might as well go into Infiniti's coffers as to Starbucks for a $5.00 cup of coffee.

Last December I bought a new car, trading my 3 year old with 67000 trouble free miles. I do believe in proper maintenance but I'm not going to follow the dealer's recommendations. When I bought the car they gave me a service "menu" with the miles, work to be performed, and cost. Following their schedule I'd have spent an additional $2200 in that three years. As for trade in value, they never looked at the car so it was not something that had payback in resale.
On 04/02/2010 04:12 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

amen, brother.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

"jim beam" wrote:
<the usual troll of snide comments on creative writings of others>
<the signoff motto: nomina rutrum rutrum> ____________________________________________________________________
Using a Latin signoff motto has become a fad because it gives a writer an air of learning. Lucy Kellaway, a columnist for Financial Times, experimented with converting modern expressions to Latin. One of her samples was the expression, ''call a spade a spade''. The translation came back: ''nomina rutrum rutrum''.
Some who see the world in black and white have copied and adopted this Latinized signoff as their own. Whenever you see someone using this expression to suggest an air of learning, remember that it was conceived as a joke, and that its true translation is: ''call a shovel a shovel''.
Rodan. ______________________________________________________________

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:31:17 -0400, "C. E. White"

Not entirely true. The moisture and contaminants in the oil from the short trip driving deteriorate the additives in the oil - and "drying it out" once a week does not TOTALLY eliminate that damage.

Yes it is.

change frequency for the oil available in America to get the car through warranty most of the time.
Cross posting left in because I'm a dork....
A look at the oil change intervals for the new Fords coming down the assembly line will be an eye opener...
FWIW, the lubricants "available" in America are likely amongst the best in the world... low ash content for diesel applications and various other requirements placed on engine oil (and other lubes) by the applications they are designed for... If one is to be concerned about "quality" in any areas - I don't think it would be with packaged lubes but with bulk fuels.... packaged lubes that bear appropriate ratings, at least (will SpamsOil ever get an API rating?).
Back to lube intervals... Many of the new and current Ford offerings have the IOLM (intelligent oil life monitor) system. Here http://tinyurl.com/yek4bot is a cut and paste of a message we got from the mothership (missing is the page that indicates which model/engine combos have what system). Notice that SOME oil change intervals can go as long as 1 year or 10,000 miles (16,000 kms).
There's some pretty neat stuff hitting the streets these days... including the dual plug 6.2 Ford and the "reverse flow" 6.7 diesel...
I totally forgot "the flip side of the coin".... An abandoned 2006 Fusion... left on our doorstep like a baby in a basket.... 100,000 kms or so on the ticker and only two oil changes to it's history. The amount of sludge under that valve covers is still a topic of conversation around the shop...
The longer we extend the service interval, the more important it becomes to observe it...
1) years back I had a Mustang with the 2.3 (or was it 2.5?) 4 cyl OHC that had oiling problems for a couple years, i.e. many of them wiped-out cams before they should. I did the 3000 mile oil change routine and it ran as new during my tenure and was still going strong 5 years after I sold it to a neighbor - but then it had only 138,000 miles on it when I sold it......don't think the neighbor kept it much past 200,000.
2) both my current Fords have the oil change reminder feature.......it apparently has a good deal of Logic built into it: if I don't drive much, it seems to take time into consideration and will start bugging me around 3400 miles. If I do a lot of highway driving, it doesn't mind how many miles since the last change. It's almost creepy. I wonder if it knows that I'm using conventional oil, not synthetic?
Jim Warman wrote:

And the more important it is to check behind whoever you pay to do them to make sure they actually do them. I've personally seen too many examples of where that was the case. Imagine being on a 5000 mile change interval and two changes are faked.
--
Bill Putney
You have joggle my old farts memory.... we get a lot of 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engines through our shop (no surprise since we ARE a Ford dealer) that have had aftermarket oil filters installed. Jiffy Lube will happily dispose of your old filter cap since the aftermarket filter comes with it's own (ill fitting, leaking) cap.

And /or the "bulk" oil used is inferior. Or the oil is changed and the filter is just given a "rag job"
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Evidence that bulk oil is inferior, if it is the same brand and grade.
Jeff

station who uses it, KNOWS for sure what brand the oil REALLY is - except for the lube shops that are owned by a particular oil company. And then you don't know for sure what line of oil they are actually using. Every oil company has their "economy grade" and their "premium" at the very least.
I know for a FACT that sometimes when you order (as a garage) a certain brand of premium multigrade oil from a distributor you do NOT get either that brand or their premium oil.
When you use packaged oil you KNOW what you are getting.
I'm NOT saying that bulk oil is in any way necessarily inferior - I used to use bulk oil a LOT in my service station and dealership days. I generally bought only directly from the oil company - when at the service station from the oil company that owned the fuel tanks - Texaco , Shell ,, Esso, etc, and at the dealerships from the single line distributor for either Castrol, Quaker State, Kendall, etc or the oil companies listed above.
When the dealership started buying from a large industrial lubricant company that distributed Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, and several other lines we never knew for sure what was in the tank. Can you say "brand of the week"?
The only way to know what oil you were REALLY getting was to order Kendall GT-1 - none of the "competitors'" oils were that distinctive BLUE colour!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, at least you think you do. Further, when you get expensive oil out of a bottle, who knows if that is really what you're buying, partilcularly at a place where you're not the one opening the bottle.

FWIW, many oil processors "trade" refinery capacity. Here in Alberta, Esso Petroleum Canada processes lube oils for Husky Oil Marketing. As long as a motor oil bears an API rating......

At our company's fleet garage, we bought "bulk" oil, but it came packaged in 55 gallon drums. It was never delivered in a tank truck and pumped into an open bulk tank.
This level of "bulk" was substantially cheaper than buying bottled oil, and the risk of contamination was less.

distributor, but then they decided they didn't want to handle barrels anymore at they put in bulk tanks with metered pumps - made it a lot wasier than pumping from a barrel into a pouring can - no more funnels required - and less, not more, possibility of contamination because there were no extra containers or stages of handling involved.
The only problem is you NEVER really knew what you were getting. They handled Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State, and at least 2 other brands - all of which made good oils - and also cheap oils. Which grade were we getting this month? from which company?.

The article linked above is also a helpful read. I noticed the part that says "Depending on driving conditions, we expect oil change intervals could be approximately:
Up to 10,000 miles Normal commuting with highway driving 5000 to 7500 miles Trailer tow/high load driving 3000 to 5000 miles Short trip usage, extreme cold or hot temperature"
The fact that two very different different car manufacturers (Honda and Ford) are saying a 10k mile interval is fine for many speaks volumes, IMO.
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 08:44:57 -0700 (PDT), Elle

appropriate for short trips, extreme cold, oe extreme heat.