Re: Ford Fusion reverse gear

Page 1 of 4
Anything is possible.... it is probability that seems to get us one way or another... How long was the grinding allowed to go on? How much has the
trans been operated in it's current condition of distress?
As another has commented, any diagnostic process is going to begin with "basics".... we begin with the least intrusive, simpler checks and tests and gradually work deeper - much like a doctor.
According to the WSM, the G5M-5 trans has a synchronized reverse..... Can the shift lever be moved into the reverse gear position? Are there any abnormal noises? If so, when do they occur? How many miles are on the car?

Jim Warman wrote:

The grinding lasted about a second before it stalled. I have driven it about 15 miles since it happened.

The shift lever will not go into the reverse position; with the engine running or off. There are no noises from the transmission. The car has only 21,000 miles on it.

--
Mike Walsh

Good grief..... check your Owner Information Guide.... In Canada the 06 fusion has a 5 year/100,000 km powertrain warranty - one would assume 'similar' coverage in the US....
I'm going to tell you the same thing I have to tell the guys in our shop..... RTFM - read the <factory> manual....

In the US the warranty is 3 years; it is 3 months out of warranty.
Jim Warman wrote:

--
Mike Walsh

When exactly did you buy it? Ford upped the powertrain warranty to 60,000 miles for 2006 models purchased after July 14, 2006.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId 6108
Derek
Jim Warman wrote: > There are no noises from the transmission. The car has only 21,000 miles on it.
take it back to the factory shop ... don't think it will cost you a thing ... warrenty thingy as it must be a new car even if it is a 2006 would think.
wow ... what a buy kinda sort of thing.
3 years old and only what ... 500 miles a month roadwork so far.
on the face of it ... you got a good deal and it is worth keeping around perhaps.
sumbuddie just making wild guess now
:?
Alan Mac Farlane wrote:

--
Toyota MDT in MO

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:43:35 -0500, Toyota MDT in MO wrote:

I *THINK* he was telling him to take it do the dealer and try to press for warranty repair. I know Toyota now has 3 years, 36,000 miles, and if they have a warranty like that on good cars, Ford must cover them for life...
*STOP THE FLAMES!!!* I like Fords. Except Focuses. Cool car with the reliablitiy of a Volkswagen...

I guess it depends upon how you feel about VWs. I am very disappointed that VW has not stepped up to the plate and proven that German technology can equal or better that of Japanese.
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:27:08 -0500, HLS wrote:

Hey! NO PROBLEM with the Technology! German engineering is fantastic! My brand-new '85 Jetta only had 85 HP, but felt like a lot more, had room in the trunk for 3 bodies, could carry 5 comfortably and had features found on cars thousands of dollars more!
They should just hand the designs over to the Japanese and let them screw 'em together! ;)

VW has had persistent quality problems, and corporate always backs the dealerships who take responsibility for NOTHING.
VW has the ability to make a really great car. They just dont always do it.

The technology is excellent. At least until recently, the reliability of VWs has not been that good, however.

The technology is excellent. At least until recently, the reliability of VWs has not been that good, however. *******
You can use the word quality, or durability, or product integrity if you wish instead of "technology".. The fact is that VW, even now, is not as good as it should be.

Nothing is as good as it should be, sadly. The real world is just like that.
In the eighties and nineties, VW fell for the common German delusion that one should never use one part when five would do. This philosophy is very contrary to the original spirit of the VW Bug. Sadly it is a problem that is no longer exclusively German, either.
On the other hand, the British philosophy is that one should never use one part when a piece of rope would do. It is possible to go too far in the other direction as well. --scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I wouldn't rule out the 2000s either. As the cost of the VW product goes up (think Phaeton, Tourag or the Audi and Porsche lines in general) the amount of extra crap increases proportionally. It seems that most of the stuff that could be eliminated is what fails the most; my favorite being the $600 secondary air pump, a part no more advanced than a $25 hair dryer. For $600 they can't at least make the part durable? Don't forget the poorly designed turbo diesels (90's) available in even the cheapest of VWs. Add that they (VW) target the eclectic buyer that manages to 'like' the car a whole bunch but can't see fit to fix it when it fails. Then those cars become 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hand used car sales to either poor folk or people who will never ever fix their car under any circumstances. That's why VW sucks and why working on VWs for a living sucks.
--
Toyota MDT in MO

news:_T43m.2455 That's why VW sucks and why working on VWs for a

Some of my friends would add to your comment that owning them sucks too ;>)
As I have said, I have owned two Passats, both really good cars. My friends have gotten some lemons. They cant seem to make either a good, or a poor, product consistently.
HLS wrote:

I applaud your friends' thoughts! The problem is, I've never met anyone who didn't think their VW/Audi was the greatest thing ever or at minimum a good solid car that was perfect for their needs. I guess they are the perfect cars to drive into the ground while never fixing anything.
--
Toyota MDT in MO

Seems that pretty much describes Toyota owners as well. LOL

Mike wrote:

Toyota owners are known to perform regular maintenance on their cars much better than many other makes' owners. LOL
--
Toyota MDT in MO