Re: Ford Fusion reverse gear

Page 3 of 4
Of course you are correct, at 83 years old and after over seventy cars, I was confusing the Mustang with my Falcon Sprint which was referred to as a
1963 1/2 by Ford . But the Mustangs VIN is 65 not 64 and the title is 64 and I should have listed it as a 1964 1/2.

So in all of those bets that you won at car shows, no one saw that the title was for a Falcon Sprint? They couldn't ID the VIN, given these were car guys that usually know their car history shit? Do you feel compelled now to refund all of your earnings since you were wrong the whole time? Were you 83 at the time, and does that explain why you didn't know what cars you own?

Toyota MDT in MO wrote:

    Give him a break. He said he is old and can't remember. Who knows maybe the part he has forgotten is that he lost every single bet.
-jim

No, what I meant to say was the Mustang was referred to by Ford as the 1964 1/2 Mustang but they have a 1965 VIN number.
I said 1963 in error because the new Sprint and the convertible when they came out in April of 1963 were referred to as 1963 1/2 Falcons, as well, because they offered the new engines that met 1964 federal regulations.
My cars have PA lifetime "Historic Car" plates, so I have annual registration and no generally have no need to look at titles in my bank box any more.

jim wrote:

I'll assume that your comment was smiley based. If not, personally I'm tired of his lies and bullshit and can't always let them go. It never changes with this guy. How do you really know he's 83? Forgetting and lying are two different things. Again, this response is only in case you didn't intend to smiley your post :-)
--
Toyota MDT in MO

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id 987
Excerpt from above: "The story details Mustang's famed world introduction at the 1964 World's Fair in New York [April '64] as Mustang #1 travels the Canadian landscape on a public relations tour. Then the unexplicable - the car accidentally falls into the hands of an airplane pilot who, unaware of the car's significance, drives it for two years and more than 10,000 miles before Ford exchanges another milestone Mustang for it"
More from about half-way down that page: "While the public first saw the car on April 17, the first production models rolled off the assembly line in early March since dealers needed to stock showrooms to capitalize on the upcoming national reveal. The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the first-ever Mustang was 5F08F100001,"
--
Tegger

I have to agree on the 'any car will make it to 250k' bit. Proper maintenance may very well include a transaxle overhaul, or an engine overhaul, or both, to get to 250,000 miles.. It really depends on the particular make and model you are trying to get to 250,000 miles.
Chrysler/Ford/VW automatic transmissions/transaxles....total crap. All of them, in my opinion. There is just no way in hell any of those slushboxes would ever make it 250,000 miles without SOME kind of repair. Then again, I'd like to see any automatic, even a Toyota, go that far without having a failure. On a standard gearbox, such a feat wouldn't be all that impressive, but only because there are far fewer points of failure, and far fewer gaskets/o-rings/AXOD beer-can aluminum forward pistons(are you listening, Ford?), and so on to break/ leak.
You almost sound like you expect a Toyota to go to 250,000 miles with the hood welded shut, which will never ever happen. Any car, I don't care who makes it, requires the owner open the hood once a week, take a peek around, and make sure nothing is amiss. Anyone not willing or able to do that is destined to buy a new car every 5-6 years or get sacked with a big repair bill when something major craps out because something minor was ignored. Then again, that's just how Detroit wants things.
The problem I see is that as a car ages, things begin to break. Common sense, right? When one thing breaks, many people will just ignore the problem and keep driving. Second thing breaks...same thing. 10 broken things later and a permanently on "Check Engine" light, the owner says to himself "Self, this car is a piece of shit. I need a new one because it would cost me about $2000 to fix all the stuff wrong with this one". So they buy a new car and get on with their life, thinking that somehow, that new car is cheaper than their old ride.
It isn't. But trying to explain that $2000 today is less than $400 a month for the next 5 years to most people just gets you a 'deer in the headlights' stare and a "That guy is crazy for driving a 15 year old car...." comment as you walk away.
Bottom line, everyone can get to hell their own way, but I'm driving myself there in either my super beetle(unknown miles but still runs fine thanks to proper maintenace) or my Kia, 112,000 and going strong, with proper maintenance. Or maybe the Miata, or maybe the 1988 pickup. All are paid for, and all run fine. I'll never buy a brand new car ever again. Don't get me wrong, it was nice; I'd even go so far as to call it amazing the one time I did buy a brand new car right off the lot. But I'll never do it again; a brand new car is the worst investment a person can make in my opinion.
John Muir was right when he proposed the forever car concept. Buy a car and keep it -forever-. Google it if you don't believe me.
Chris

I agree 100% on the rust issue. I am in the Phoenix area, so corrosion is largely a non-issue for us here.

Rust is a lot like cancer. Sure, you can cover it up, paint over it and such, but in the end it is still there eating away at the foundation.
Chris

Some people start off with poor maintenance. And never improve.

Latest was a younger lady here in town whom I have known for years. She had one of the new Beetles, and was happy with it for a couple of years. Then, for the last year or two, it has been in the shop every couple of months, and the repairs were not cheap.
I suspect this is an unusual situation, or VW wouldnt have the popularity it has. She got rid of the thing and bought a Lincoln.
Some of my friends in Germany have had lots of problems with their electrical systems, while others of us have had none.
I think all cars are a little more complicated than they really should be.
The worst I have is a Reatta. Electronics were designed and built by Satan himself. I may junk it.
HLS wrote:

Wasn't that car 'hand destroyed' instead of assembly built? Does yours have the touch screen interface (inoperative, no doubt)?
--
Toyota MDT in MO

Yes, mine has the screen interface...Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. It can be "fixed" by taking it out and cleaning, replacing certain parts...But it will only stay "fixed" a few years.
It was hand built, has a number of computers intended to impress, no doubt, some little old bluehaired ladies, etc.
It is nice to drive, when it runs.
This and the Allante were not GM's better thought out projects. I thought that with time I could re-engineer, repair, this nice looking little coupe. It is a heart breaker.
wrote in message

Indeed, they make unreliable vehicles! The 2009 JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study shows them second from last! Only Suzuki is making worse. Not sure how Land Rover finally got out of last place this year...
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?id 09043
Derek
Actually every manufacture is making great stuff today. What these surveys REALLY prove is that ALL vehicles are falling into the 2% failure rated for ALL manufactured products, if stated in percentages rather than a list.
If one surveyed only the worlds ten finest cars, one would be on the top and another on the bottom but they would still be the worlds ten finest car.
wrote in message

Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Toyota offers 5/60 on powertrain, actually. You may be thinking of Honda who still holds onto their 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty (and seems to still sell cars).

The flames would never have started had you not said that you like Fords! :-) Ironically, if I had to recommend a Ford based on reliability, price, and cost of ownership, I would probably start with the Focus. That's not saying much, but I do love me some devil's advocate.
--
Toyota MDT in MO

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:12:36 -0500, Toyota MDT in MO wrote:

YOU know I'm a Toyota fan. I had one Honda...Had One Never Did Again... Only because Toyotas are more accessible. I almost got a Honda Civic Si in 2006 instead of my Scion tC, but there was a 3-4 month wait. Just like in 1977 when I wanted an 'original' Accord...

The Focus is another cool car gone awry. We had one on the lot; probably didn't sell because it was the funky looking 3-door ZX3 in...yellow.... Now, I like yellow! I matched the color and sprayed a God-Awful Green Krylon Tercel AWD wagon someone gave me, and then pearl-coated it to make it *REALLY* glow!
That Focus was one hell of a car! Fast, comfortable, innovative, and I like quirky looking cars, so I dug it. It was also a 2000, 2nd year IIRC, so being an American product I was a little leery.
The Taurus was a good car. When you stamp out >1/4 mil in 8 months, you're bound to have some troubles. Likewise for the Ranger. Get a halfway decent one, and you have a good little truck.
Personally, I've wanted one of these since I was 9 years old...
http://www.drivenshow.ca/edmonton/images/ford_GT40-08-1024.jpg

Guess I really screwed up then. In '92, I bought a 1988 VW Fox GL wagon. 1.8L/4 speed manual. I put alot of money into it, but nowhere near matchng new car payments of any vehicle for a few years. 35 city/highway average. Clutch assembly replaced twice, tranny once, same engine in its lifetime. Was reliable till last year. Car pulled left from opposing lane in front of me. VW was beyond economical repair, beyond total insurance reimbursement. Mileage was over 350K.
Took insurance monies and my some of my own savings to put monies down on a 2008 Focus 5 spd manual, no frills whatsoever. 2 year extended warranty as well. All last year. Took delivery on Aug. 1st. Had dealer change oil/filter 3 times since. That's all the maintenance done. Approx. 6700 miles to date. Should I look for 350K miles again?
--
Dave

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:47:09 -0500, Dioclese wrote:

Hmmm....same motor as my Jetta. Fox wagon was a cool car. And I know of some Rabbit diesel 'trucks' that have gone >500,000 miles!!
They're too sporadic. If you get a good one, you really have a good car. But if you get a bad one...
Too bad they can't get a better hold of their quality control. VW makes some very cool cars.

I wouldn't hold my breath...

I have owned two Passats, and they were both darn good, but I have had friends who owned them (Passats and the new Beetle) and they were a PITA. It IS sporadic.
I wrote to the CEO of VWUSA a couple of years ago and entreated him to become involved to improve the quality and to support the client. I, not unexpectedly, got a reply that he was deeply involved, dedicated to improving quality, etc etc.
Action talks, bullshit walks
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:33:21 -0500, HLS wrote:

That's why VW had to extend warraties long before Hyundai did...