Re: Ford Taurus Transmission question

Hi all. Can anyone offer any opinions on what the problem could be

> with the transmission in my father's car? He's not internet fluent, > and has asked for my assistance. > > Background: > > 1993 Ford Taurus GL Wagon > 100K miles appx. > > What happened: > The heater core began leaking last week and he took it to a local > mechanic to replace. My father is a good mechanic (ran a shop in the > 60's), but he's 74 now, and doesn't like to take on major projects > like that anymore. The mechanic he uses does good work, at fair and > reasonable prices. > > Anyway, he replaced the heater core, and assembled everything back > together. Now, the transmission won't move the car. I asked dad for > some symptoms, but there weren't any. We (dad and I) drove the car > 1200 miles two weeks ago (of which I drove most of it) and the car was > fine. The mechanic drove the car to the shop himself to replace the > core, and he says that it was driving fine, and shifting fine. We're > at a loss as to what the problem could be. The mechanic says that the > converter is engaging and moving, at least that's how it was relayed > to me. The selector lever moves okay, but the transmission won't move > the car unless you rev the engine high and hold it there, and then it > will just barely move. > > Can someone please offer some suggestions as to where to look? The > mechanic is a trained GM mechanic, but has probably worked on > everything at one time. I'm mechanically enclined as well, and have > faith in the mechanic and don't think that he's doing anything > dishonest. We (the collective three of us) simply can't figure out > what is wrong. > > Thanks so very much! > > David Elsberry

Well, if he just worked on the core, i don't know what he could have disturbed. But here is what to look for.

1) Your 100% sure its full of fluid? You actually checked it??

2) You checked the cooler lines going to the radiator for accidental obstructions?

3) You checked the MLP switch connected to the gear shift?

4) You checked the multi pin connector on the drivers side that is actually plugged into the trannie? This is a axode/ax4, SO, it needs the electrical harness to shift.

5) the drive axles are pushed all the way into the trannie?

6) Is the VSS hooked up?

I don't see how any of this could have been affected, but check it all anyway.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ