Re: Foreign cars pass Big 3. but not on a steep grade

Page 1 of 5
I guess one can assume, in the opinion of Josee Valcourt the Corporate and government fleets and rental car companies, who individually are the largest
SINGLE purchasers of ones vehicles are NOT making vehicles that are popular with THOSE customers? If those buyers are not customer why are the import brands try trying so hard to sell to them?
Why are light truck buyers, who comprise nearly half of new vehicle purchases in the US, not customers? When one considers that there are nearly twenty import manufactures who are selling cars in the US, why are they NOT doing a far better job our outselling only three domestic manufactures? The domestics are indeed behind in total car sales, but import brands offer far more of the midget cars than domestics, and as a class are the least popular with buyers. When it comes to the more popular mid-size cars, although the Camry is the number one seller, domestics sell more mid-size cars although under several different brand names. ;)
mike hunt.

My question (and I'm likely naive and just don't get it) is why so many people buy trucks? Do they have that many groceries to buy? Do they move every three weeks so they need a personal U-Haul? Once every two years or so I find the need for a minivan or truck to haul something large (and affixing a trailer hitch and renting a trailer is not an option, (since I don't want a chrome ball on the rear end of my sedan or even the bracket it goes into on the tail, thank you) and I go rent such a vehicle for the day, and it's never over 50 bucks. And I don't have to endure the herky-jerky ride of a truck in my daily life, nor the horrific gas mileage. Does that make me weird? Sure, I see that many folks in the building or maintenance trades who carry lots of tools and equipment around need trucks, but the housewife who has to buy 12 packs of toilet paper and a couple of cases of pampers? I don't think so.

move
or
life,
carry
Well, terrific for you. Some of us need our trucks. Come on up here where I live and when you get 200-300 inches of snow dumped into your driveway every winter don't call me. Go rent a snow plow.
The most foolish part of your diatribe is that it shows how little you really know about the rest of the world around you.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That's probably the key - he doesn't live where you do. Perhaps it's much more like where I live and seems half of all cars are big 4WD's (I assume that's what we mean?). A minority have tow bars and I've never seen one used by tradespeople - they use utilities or vans no bigger than a sedan. It never snows and all the roads are sealed. Most are owned simply because they are the fashion and to gain an advantage in a crash, which says a lot about their attitude.

Oh really, Mike Smartass? At least I know enough not to live in a place that gets 200 to 300 inches of snow per year. You must think that everyone lives in such a place and needs a truck to plow thru it, which shows how much you know about the rest of the world. And where did you learn big words like 'diatribe'?

What's wrong with snow like that? I don't mind it at all. No - I don't think everyone lives in such a place but then I was not the one who originated the thread complaining about people driving vehicles that he does not personally like. You know - the guy who had the solution for everyone else to live by - to rent like he does. Some people just feel the need to mind everyone else's business. We call that nosey.
As for words like diatribe - well, I learned it a long time ago when I went to school. Perhaps that is something you should try.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
snip

I don't know why but I suspected you would deliver such a response.

I found the response funny. That's all.

Ah well, soon either there won't be snow if temperatures continue to rise everywhere as they have been, and/or the oil will run out. That's everyone's business and unlike those (like yourself) who actually need gas guzzlers, it is becoming immoral to drive one without a real good reason.

everyone's
it
Hell - it's immoral to drive it now. It's a utility truck for me - I drive the car unless I need the truck. Truck gets 15mpg under any two wheel drive conditions (miserably worse in 4WD), and the car gets 28. Easy choice.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I think some of the people he's referring to people are white collar urban commuters who live in mild climates and drive only on flat, paved roads. If those people drove cars instead, there would be a lot more oil left over for people who actually need their trucks and SUVs.

Yeah - I do realize that. I responded in a moment of feeling a little testy. It happens from time to time when I read people's words that state "this is what I do, so why doesn't everyone else do what I do?". My reaction is to the somewhat pompous nature of that statement and sometimes it ignores other obvious considerations.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Perhaps it is because they have enough sence to not buy a small less safe vehicle in which to transporr their family, simply save a few hundred dollars a year on fuel?
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

No, it's mostly because they're pot-bellied chinless jerks who need Viagara and Lipitor.
How do you like your SUV?
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

You're not a good comedian either.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Hmmm, then why are fatality rates higher for pickup trucks and SUVs than they are for passenger cars?
"The traffic safety agency reported last week that there were 16.42 deaths of S.U.V. occupants in accidents last year for every 100,000 registered S.U.V.'s. The figure for passenger cars was 14.85 deaths for each 100,000 registered; pickups were slightly higher than cars at 15.17 deaths per 100,000, while vans were lowest at 11.2 occupant deaths for every 100,000 registered. "
From:
http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid 6&did9
John

You need to go by deaths for every 100,000,000 mi driven, rather than deaths per 100,000 vehicles. People may put more miles on one type of vehicle than another type.
SUVs have more problems with turnovers during crashes than cars.
Jeff