Re: Foreign cars pass Big 3. but not on a steep grade

The readers and contributors to this newsgroup seem to be getting their exercise by jumping to conclusions. Mike reads my post and assumes (wrongly) that I'm being pompous and wanting everyone to 'do as I do", instead of realizing that what I was talking about was (as another reader correctly inferred) that I was talking about people who buy trucks not because they require them for their jobs or frequent tasks of hauling big items, but because their size "might" come in handy "sometime". (Or maybe they're trying to do their share in the area of gasoline consumption?) I think we've all seen soccer moms transporting their ONE child to a soccer game in a Ford Excursion or Chevy Suburban....and that's the only reason they have such a behemoth vehicle. I have nothing against folks who own trucks who actually use them for their utility values, a point lost on Mike (who admits to being 'testy'.) And yes, Dave, I have indeed seen people exiting Sam's Club (and Costco) ....and the local supermarket....carrying enough supplies to outfit a summer camp for 200 children. I do get around, just like you.

Reply to
mack

not sure I would consider a 2003 new but whatever. As for the cars I have honda civic and a camry. My father has an 04 2500 and it definitly drives better than my civic (can't say much for the gas milage though) and it would be right there with my camry.

Reply to
runsrealfast

Sorry its and 2005 GMC not an 04!

Reply to
runsrealfast

Alas mack, I can be held a tad guilty (is that like a little bit pregnant?) by my own earlier admissions. Though I like to think of myself as a pretty balanced guy, I take refuge in the fact that balance means that for every rational thought I have there must be something less rational popping up here and there...

Not really.

One's words can sometimes come back to haunt one...

While I really do understand what you were trying to say mack, it remains that there are several reasons why people drive what they do. In some cases it is all about the fashion statement, or it's about the macho statement, but in plenty of other cases it's because the household has a mixed need. Often times that mixed need does is not supported by income or desire to own two vehicles. So - for 20% or 30% or 40% (pick a number) of the time they really need a van or a Suburban, or a Pick Up. The remaining time something else would do. Economics and other factors drive the decision on what to buy. Are there alternatives to those decisions? Sure, but none of us can sit in the cat bird's seat and make a judgment on those decisions absent the insight. That's really what I was getting at in my comments.

Besides... have you ever seen how butt ugly a gun rack looks in the back window of a Honda Accord?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Perhaps it is because they have enough sence to not buy a small less safe vehicle in which to transporr their family, simply save a few hundred dollars a year on fuel?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Like I said you are free to believe whatever you choose.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Most marketing estimates put the fractor of truck buyers who have a significant need for such a vehicle at between 25% and 50% of the trucks sold. Perhaps you are in that segment which has a real need for trucks, but surely you must know that a great many truck buyers are motivated by style or image concerns rather than real need.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Two years ago I test drove a new Chevy pickup truck. Driving down our highway was like taking a ride on a bronco. It just kept bobbing front to back over the slabs of concrete. Not for me thank you!

John

Reply to
John Horner

That may be your opinion but in the opinion of those who buy them the must need them or they would not be buying them. Just like you and every other buyer you spend you money where you wish. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Try that same road in a Yaris. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Are larger vehicles safer than small vehicles?

If so, evidence, please.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I see big fat people buying M&Ms and ice cream in the grocery store. What they need is to NOT buy them.

Likewise, I see two driver households with 4 cars and trucks outside. I doubt they really need all those cars and trucks. They take the train to work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeah, but the difference between what I say and you say is that I am able to back up what I say with real evidence.

You can't back up anything you say with evidence.

I did my homework.

You would not make an ass of yourself if you did yours.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What you think will only come into play when you buy their vehicles for them, or build a train station near where they live and work LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Not Mike. He drives two cars *everywhere* even if he needs to do it personal!

Reply to
FanJet

No, it's mostly because they're pot-bellied chinless jerks who need Viagara and Lipitor.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Actually I fly more than I drive. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How do you like your SUV?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You're not a good comedian either.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

So, are you going to get the new Honda? I am sure it will fly well. The down side is it does not have a potty.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff