Re: G M is still number one

But what you posted was that you wanted to go back to the older cars. You were not specific that you'd like to keep many of the new methods. Sure, some gadgets can be troublesome, but cars today are far superior running than anything from the 50' 60's, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Amen to that. I still recall with some horror the Sunday afternoon I spent in the Napa valley with my girlfriend's parents in the backseat of their brand new 1955 Buick. We had gone over a hill mass, and on the way downhill, I suddenly realized I had no brakes. Shifted into the Dynaflow's low range with little effect, and finally eased onto the parking brake, as we approached level ground. As we slowed to a stop, I announced "casually" that we were going to stop for a few minutes to let the brakes cool off. But inside, I was almost panicky. It taught me to never ride the brakes down a hill, whether they be drums or discs.

Reply to
mack

Well, actually, I didn't post that I wanted to go back to the older cars..not at all.

The cars today are much more comfortable and longer lived than the old ones. For the most part, they get better mileage, and have better power.

BUT, what I tried to get across is that there is a lot of overengineered garbage in some modern cars that make them almost impossible to repair for the owner, and sometimes even challenging for accomplished professional mechanics.

Repairs, and I am sure you will agree on this, can be far more expensive than the function of the system merits, and the finished repairs can be far less satisfactory. Case in point, the Buick air conditioning control system which may require replacement of a $600 computer to get cold air. That is overkill.

We have only had to replace one of the damn things, and the car is still working. A friend has had to replace two at the dealership, and her car is still not fixed. They have jury rigged it so it will blow cold, because the spaceage design is not robust nor easily fixed in her case.

There are many other examples of poor execution and design, and they are not all in GM's camp.

I do not necessarily long for the old days. But one of the most satisfying cars I ever owned was a 66 Mustang convertible. One of the worst was a 68.

I also had an 89 Buick Regal, which I loved, but it was a horrible car as far as repair and maintenance.

I also have a 90 Reatta, which I enjoy immensely, but it is a pigsty of shitteaux unnecessary electronics and poorly thought out engineering ideas. I considered eliminating most of this crap, and may consider it in time. The worst thing about this car is that a new windshield, if available, costs more than I paid for the car. Unnecessary, and purposeful.

Reply to
<HLS

"94 Olds Gutless Supreme...

the car was running fine, all of a sudden...wouldn't accelerate. It will start - and it seems like the fuel injection is allowing electric and all that - plugs good ... i hear a noise toward the back like something is clogging the muffler and then....it won't give gas at all

- can't keep it running. i was able to get it into gear and all the battery / electric works. I was able to get it back in gear and move it off the street but there it sits and now it won't even get gas.

Does this happen when injectors fail? Is the reason why i was able to get it back in gear a few times, but it wouldn't accelerate?

Could be a Fuel Filter, Mass Air Flow sensor or possibly Fuel pump from what i've been able to gather, but i don't want to get ganked on replacing something that doesn't need replacing. Any suggestions? Please

jon snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
gutless.clueless

Injectors tend to go bad over time, they usually do not fail suddenly.

Check the air filter to make sure it is not clogged. Check to make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Check for obstructions in the exhaust and catalytic converter. The only way to properly check the fuel filter and fuel pump is with a fuel pressure and volume gauge. Normally, the engine will not run at all with a bad fuel pump, and since your engine starts, the fuel pump would be lower on the list of stuff I check.

Reply to
Ray O

There's the possibility that the catalytic converter rusted out and all the pellets are now in your muffler, plugging it up.

Reply to
JKevorkian

"gutless.clueless" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

uhhhhhh.........backpressure test on convertor?

Reply to
KjunRaven