Re: GM Dealer Challenges the Toyota Tundra's Ads... AS BULL

Page 3 of 8

Pretty much, although technically I am still "employed". Which brings up a chuckle I had when you said this:

I chuckled because I was very fortunate to be able to retire over 5 years ago at the ripe old age of 52. I was reasonably successful from a financial point of view, have a decent reputation in the industry I was in and never got sued for anything. I attribute this modest success to some of the cockamamie ideas and standards that I tenaciously stuck to for many years.
BTW .... the BMW E60 M5 engine (V10 - 500 hp) is arguably one of the most advanced engine designs in production from a technological point of view. It is "sloppy" in it's tolerances and owners (me being one) typically experience a liter of oil use every 1000 - 1500 miles. How's that for quality?
RCE

Are you claiming that some manufacturers don't decide that "not so good" is "good enough" for their target market and price range?

I need to study that sentence sometime to figure out what it means.
If anything.
RCE

It's perfectly clear. Ask your toaster to help you.

No help. My toaster just stares back at me.
RCE

OK. You pick words more amenable to your state of mind:
Some manufacturers' cars suck. Do you think they got this way by mistake? Or, do the manufacturers know they're producing crap?

I don't know.
Car manufacturers are tasked with meeting a wide range of technical, marketing, economic and regulatory criteria. They have to design and build a desirable car that they can build at a profit and meet ever increasing safety and environmental regulations.
For example:
One way to get better gas mileage is to improve engine efficiency. Hard to do in a cost-effective manner so it is accomplished every 3 or 4 years. Another way is to reduce weight of the car. If a component usually made of metal that weighs 2 lbs and has a mean time between failure of 100,000 hours can be replaced with one made of nylon that weighs 1/2 pound and has a MTBF of 50,000 hours ... it will probably be made of nylon since the Marketing Department research indicates that the average person owns a car for about 5-6 years.
Profit is based on the total cost of doing business. Some manufacturers have significant advantages over others in this area.
RCE

You could've stopped at "I don't know", because logically, it doesn't matter. If they know they're producing crap, they're disgusting for selling it to anyone. If they do NOT know they're producing crap, then they're incompetent, and this sentence can be completed the same as the previous one.
There is only one way to do your work. Everything else is offensive.
As far as I can determine Ford no longer sells the same vehicles they sold in 1970s. Nether does any other manufacturer. Seems the oldest any may have to sell that are still.considered 'new' vehicle may be a rare 2006 ;)
mike

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Pinto/Mustang II anecdotes.
All anecdotal.
Rob

And 100% accurate. Go toy with one of the 3 musketeers. They'll fall for it.
Try not to confuse Joe with logic and valid business reasons for companies designing and building products the way they do. His fragile mind can't take it, he's likely to spontaneously combust if he feels like he's being picked on. Joe is the master of applying BS anecdotal evidence, sketchy rumors and conspiracy theories that he gathers in his *very* limited sphere of influence to the rest of the universe.

All evidence is anecdotal. If you disagree, show links to evidence that is not anecdotal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

I thought old minivans stunk because of all the rotten McDonalds food in the corners and the floor. Didn't you guys know that?

Could be.
Although not for me, they certainly are popular with the mothers of young kids. My daughter has a Grand Caravan ... an '05, I think. She has two boys aged 6 and 8 plus two fully grown bloodhound dogs. She wouldn't part with her "Eggmobile" for anything and after inspecting it one day I can understand why from her point of view. The rear seats fold flat, there are storage compartments everywhere it seems and she hauls the kids, groceries, dogs, furniture, ... whatever everyday.
She and her husband have taken 3000 mile vacation trips in it several times, packed to the gills with their "stuff". So far, it has performed flawlessly, gets decent gas mileage and has about 80k miles on it.
Good think Chrysler insisted on "loose" tolerances. <g>
RCE

*snip*
*backing away slowly*
Natalie

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 05:59:26 -0600, dh rearranged some electrons to form:

Anyone who believes CR is an unbiased, reliable source, is just plain gullible.
--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

Then why don't you go survey about a million and a quarter car owners and report on your findings?
CR stays in business because they make their readers happy. They're not going to make them happy by steering them into crappy cars.
I finally started to consult CR before I bought cars just a few years ago. As a result, I have been buying Toyotas.
I have 4 Toyotas, 3 purchased used, now at an average age of 7.3 years, with 10.1 years of ownership and 108,000 miles of driving and ZERO problems. They look good, they don't squeak or rattle and the offer a good combination of fuel economy and performance.
Maybe I'm gullible but I'm also happy to follow CRs advice.
What are the other options? Listen to you? Hah!

That's nothing. We had individual Vaxes run for at least two years and Vax clusters up for longer than that. And we weren't a 24X7 shop, that's just how Vaxes worked.