Re: GM Dealer Challenges the Toyota Tundra's Ads... AS BULL

Page 7 of 8

Right. And the Impala should be compared to the Lexus ES 460.
It's a half-ton. Compare it to the half-tons.

I see that Toyota has more torque and more horsepower than the GM and Dodge 3/4 ton pickups, outclassed only by a Ford V-10. And probably that giant Navistar diesel engine, which is a $6K option.
I wonder which gasser gets better fuel economy? Hmm... Ford, GM and Dodge don't appear to have supplied fuel economy figures to Edmunds. Perhaps that answers my question.

Toyota buyer do not understand trucks. Look at the hugh differance in the RPMs at which the HP and torque is acheved. That is why the Ford will drag the Tundra backward all over the lot in a Tug of War
Tundra - 5.7L V-8 - 381 hp @ 5600 rpm 401 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm F250 - 6.8L V-10 - 362 hp @ 4750 rpm 457 lb. -ft @ 3250 rpm
mike

I'd like to know what you think you're commenting on...
[quote] I see that Toyota has more torque and more horsepower than the GM and Dodge 3/4 ton pickups, outclassed only by a Ford V-10. And probably that giant Navistar diesel engine, which is a $6K option. [end quote]
Or do you think that "Ford" is sometimes spelled "GM" or "Dodge?"
However, as long as you're at it...

Yes, let's. Oooh... Looks like Toyota has a major advantage in lower-end torque over the GM and Dodge products.
Thanks for pointing it out.
Bill Ford and Alan Mullaly should be thankful that Toyota hasn't introduced a V-10.
...yet.

If you like the Toyota so much, and love pumping money into japan's economy, dont let the door hit you where the sun dont shine on the way out.
I do notice Toyota aint doing so well in the Nextel series. Waltrip cant get qualified, and Dale Jarrett is burning up his provisionals to get on the track..
Whitelightning

The Nextel cup has nothing to do with the "real" world. Nothing in those cars has anything to do with a "stock" car in any meaningful way.
Ed

Perhaps not, perhaps yes. But consider the power plant, a 358 cid cam in block 2 valves per cylinder , push rods, and a single 4 barrel carb pushing a 3400 pound car upwards of 220 mph, and toyota cant get enough horsepower out of their engine. And a lot of what goes on on the track does find its way into cars..
Whitelightning

So my 2009 Impala will have a 4-barrel carb? Right.
"Back to the Future - NASCAR Style"
What goes on at some race circuits may find its way into cars but NASCAR isn't one of those circuits.
Audi was winning in Europe last year with a DIESEL! Now, that's cool!

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:16:34 +0000, Whitelightning rearranged some electrons to form:

True, but Toyota is not going to sell a carbureted pushrod engine in any car or truck model they make, ever.
Same for the Detroit-3.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
message

In your dreams. Nobody builds engines with carbs any more. Toyota doesn't sell any push rod engines in the US. Nextel cup cars are highly regulated versions of a 1972 Chevy Winston Cup Car. The suspension is a many times revised 1965 Ford NASCAR front suspension, and the rear suspension is a highly refined 1970 GMC truck coil spring suspension with a refined Ford 9 inch rear gear. Nobody builds anything that crude for a road car. The cheapest Kia you can buy in the US is more technologically advanced than any Nextel Cup Car. Nextel Cup Cars are highly polished turds, but they are still turds. And now, all the turds have to fit the same turdplate (i.e. template). If it wasn't for the decals, you would not be able to tell the cars apart. NASCAR has degenerated into WWE on asphalt. The money is good, the racing is fake.
Ed

In fact, my "giant" Navistar diesel is only 0.3L larger than the Tundra V8.
DaveD

I would, except Toyota is trying to create the impression that the new Tundra is a heavy duty truck. If you want to compare truckls intended for people pulling boats to the lake or small trailer, I can do that. However, the Toyota ads are trying to create the impression that the Tundra is a serious work truck. If you want a Ford serious work truck you should get an F250, not an F150 (although F150s are very good trucks). The Tundra line now competes with the whole lower end of the Ford Line in my opinion from a stripper F150 to a crew cab F350. YOu need to compare similarly equipped trucks. in some case that means comparing the Tundra to an F150 and in other to an F250. Of course as soon as you throw the F250 into the comparison, the Tundra comes out looking very weak, so Toyota won't make that comparison. Toyota wants it both way - the y only want to compare there trucks to the other guys 1/2 toms, while trying to give the impression that it has the capabilities of 3/4 ton trucks. As I said before, If I wanted to tow 10,000 lbs, I'd get an F250/F350 even though an F150 is rated to tow that much.

Don't forget that both Chevy and Dodge offer more powerful diesels as well.

No one supplies gas mileage figures for trucks with a GVW over 8500 lbs, CAFE doesn't require them to be reported. The Ford V-10 and Chevrolet 6.0L V-8 are only available in HD trucks with a high GVW, so the gas mileage is not reported. Dodge does sell the "Hemi" in 1/2 ton trucks, so they report the gas mileage for that:
Tundra 5.7L V-8 Automatic - 14 city / 18 highway / 16 combined Dodge Ram 1500 5/7L V-8 Automatic - 15 city / 19 highway / 17 combined
None of the Tundras have a GVW over 7200 lb, so they have to report gas mileage. Of course with a GVW of only 7200 the Tundra has a limited payload capacity compared to any HD truck. So, it is obvious that the Tundra ads that try to create the impression that Tundras are a Heavy Duty truck are miss leading.
Ed

Where did you find the gear ratios for the above trucks and do you have them for the Nissan Titan? Did you ever see a Dodge Mega Cab 1500? The 06 is a full 3/4 ton truck disguised as a 1/2 ton.
Just wondering....
Al

Al

Go check their web site.

Unlike you, I did:
Engine, , Vortec 8.1L V8 SFI, (330 hp [245.8 kW] @ 4200 rpm, 450 lb-ft of torque [607.5 N-m] @ 3200 rpm) (L18) $950.00
Right from the GMC website. The Duramax is $6030 now!
Al

Yes. Unlike me. Be your own secretary.

No wonder you have a spare bedroom:)

LMFAO, now that is funny....

I don't see the 8.1L listed as an option for a 2007 GMC. Where did you see it?
Ed

Right here. What a URL! Anyway, just build a 2500HD and when you get to options you'll find it. Did a "Tiny URL" it's at the bottom.
http://www.gmc.com/byo/selectOption.gc ;jsessionid=TZLH1C1TERNAICQN1ECSCZQKBXMQEIMO?fromColor=true&make=gc&style=WT%201SA&zipu081&driveType=2WD%20&boxSize=Long%20Box&subModel%00HD&boxSizeId!&makeId2&cabSize=Regular%20Cab&cabSizeId=1&model=Sierra&styleId=WT%201SA&subModelId1&year 07&modelId3&pvca391&driveTypeId=7&&vehicleModel=/images/gmbp/48012/vehicle/2007/med/31_8555_c1_b21.jpg&exteriorColorChipUrl=/images/gmbp/color/chips/ext/med/8555.jpg&interiorColorChipUrl=/images/gmbp/color/chips/int/med/69C.jpg&exteriorColorIdAU&interiorColorIdiC&seatTypeId7&colorOptionsAU^69C^AE7&exteriorColor=Onyx%20Black%20&interiorColorrk%20Pewter%20Cloth%20&colorVisited=true&inValidOptions=&brand=sierra&imageNameExt=_c1_b21&site=&originatingBrand=sierra&iPi=2&fPi=3
http://tinyurl.com/23gtzx
Al