Re: GM, Ford reputations take a hit

Page 7 of 8
You are still confusing the NA content with US content. My 07 Mustang GT convertible was built in Flat Rock Michigan. 80% US content, the only major
component the is not made in the US is the tranny.
You opinion for the reason for 4 and 5 defies logic. The Camry has been assembled in the US of mostly imported parts, as Toyota says in their current ads, before Honda stated building the Accord and Nissan the Altma and Titan, in the US of mostly US content. The Camry has a 4, the Accord, Altma and Titan all have a '1.' A Camry made totally in Japan carries the same label as one made in the US. How can that be if what you believe to be true, was actually true? .
Searching where I direct you to search and you will find it. If you want to keep believe what you want you can do that as well ;)
mike

"Full-sized trucks" Funny use of English in America.
You are not talking about proper full-size trucks, presumably :-)
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/trucks.html
DAS
"Mike Hunter" < snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net...

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/trucks.html
No, only improper full-sized trucks.
Dave

Yes we know that, the Big 2.5 have depended so much on trucks they are now in big trouble. Unfortunately their car selection, particularly from Chrysler is very slim, not enough choice of cars to compete in that category.
As a result Chrysler is into big layoffs, while people like myself don't see a Chrysler model to replace what we have. http://money.cnn.com/2001/01/29/europe/daimler /

.
How strange of Chrysler to blame the market when they dug themselves a hole by not providing product continuity. I'm sticking with my Concord for now, the longest I've ever kept a car. If for some reason I need a replacement soon it won't be Chrysler because they have no product for me. They did it too themselves.
Today I was in a Toyota dealer which I knew had some connection with my Chrysler dealer. I learned the connection was very close, the same owner who sold his Chrysler dealership last year. Very smart of him, he obviously saw the writing on the wall.

or Mexico
XXX

XXX
That ex GM part company that can't make money imports most of their parts they sell to the Big 2.5.

XXXXXX

XXXXXX Toyota is a big parts producer in the USA and also buys many parts from NA companies such as Magna.
What is your point? GM , Ford and Chrysler buy a lot more parts made in the US than does Toyota or any other import brand for that matter. Toyota buys most of the part from other Japanese companies. Notice from whom Toyota buys all of their steel and tires and most of their parts?
Honda and Nissan do build the Accord as well as Altima and Titan in the US, that is why they have a '1' as the first number of the VIN. Toyota on the other hand have a 4 or 5 and only assembled in the US. READ Toyota ads about what they say are used to assemble their vehicles in the US, 'Imported parts'
. mike

Get real, You apparently do not understand what you read. How can we possibly 'run out' of VINs? Individual VINs change annual and they vary by manufacture, plant, body, SRS type, engine, model year, check digit, etc as well as the sequential build number up to 999,999 Few of which stays constant yearly LOL
mike

But what you said originally was 'they added 4 and because we were running out of VINs,' when the fact is the three numbers were assigned to the US for the reason I stated.from the gitgo, when seventeen digets number became standard for VINs
mike

My point is: Mike the world is much more integrated than your little outdated view of it tells you and this flow of parts around the world has been going on for a long time.
-When the big 2.5 buy parts from Delphi it is very likely they are imported. Delphi import most of their parts. As of the Chapter 11 filing last April Delphi employed 32,000 UAW and other union workers in the USA plus 115,000-worker foreign factories, many of which operate in low-wage countries such as Mexico and China.
-Toyota builds engines in the USA, but Chrysler imports the 2.7L V6 from Mexico. -In 1980 I removed a damaged wheel rim from my Chrysler Horizon and noticed it was made in Mexico. That was the Chrysler car using a VW engine made in Germany. -Last summer I replaced the blower resistor in my wife's Sebring. The old resistor was made in Mexico, the replacement in Slovenia. -Car carrying ships returning to Asia return with NA parts. Here we have a major Al wheel factory. They ship wheels to Japan and Korea on the returning car carrying ships.
You need to read more and become up to date: http://www.td.com/economics/special/ca0506_autos.jsp

Vehicles produced by companies other than the North American Big 3 currently account for about 44% of North American sales. However, many of the major foreign automobile companies now provide the bulk of their North American sales from their production facilities on this continent. As a result, imports account for only 20% of sales of light vehicles in the United States and just under 25% in Canada.
U.S. imports of motor vehicle parts are quite diversified with about 50% coming from overseas markets. At the end of the 1990s, Mexico surpassed Canada as a supplier of parts to the U.S. market. U.S. parts imports from China have just recently become important, and they are growing rapidly. U.S. imports of car parts from Japan have been flat, while the purchases of U.S.-made parts by the Japanese transplants has soared, reflecting the fact that Japanese suppliers followed the Japanese assemblers in setting up operations in North America. Canada imports parts almost exclusively from the United States, although one should recognize that some of these parts may be originating overseas, but are landing first in the U.S. before being shipped to Canada.

U.S. parts imports from China have just recently become important, and they are growing rapidly.
And this is what scares the heck out of me. How are the auto makers going to keep the counterfeit parts made in unauthorized factories out of their cars. If I had the opportunity to bet on this I would wager every last bit of my assets that this is going to become a MAJOR problem for Chinese sourced parts
U.S. imports of car parts from Japan have been flat, while the

Double Tap
Don't be fooled by that, Japanese companies assembling in the US and Canada buy the majority of the part from other Japanese companies operating in the US. The parts they buy from them are preassembled over seas and completed in the US or Canada so the parts can be labeled made in the US and Canada. I E Nippon steel which comes into the US by the boat load, Bridgestone tires, Desno Globe parts etc. they do it to take advantage of Japanese tax laws that permit them to take profit out of the US federal tax free.
One reason there are far few Japanese brands made or sold in Europe is the tax laws their are not so lenient. The must pay the Value added tax on all the profit they earn in Europe and do not get the capital return tax back in Japan for exporting or making cars and trucks outside of Japan, like they do on earning brought back to Japan from the US.
mike

Mike, The above was not my post you sniped my part out. Double Tap
My reply was to the thread, not you particular response, OK?
mike

Not really, if you are going to snip my entire post then also snip my name so it does not appear as if I posted something I did not. OK ? Double Tap

Managing to keep threads based on ridiculous claims alive.

Keeping awake by posting old history as current facts.
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:04:23 +0000, Double Tap got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Of course, since you top-posted, you completely lost your argument on whatever it was.
HTH!
But then, since you're using Windows, I guess that can't be helped.
Here - at least replace Virus Express with something halfway (for a Wintendo program) decent:
http://www.40tude.com/dialog /
http://www.download.com/Xnews/3000-2164_4-10144167.html
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird /
I've used all of the above when forced to downgrade to Wintendo.
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos