Re: GM or Toyota

Page 1 of 3
That easy, Toyota loyalist are going into other brand NGs and bringing up their old recalls in an futile effort to divert attention from the fact that
Toyota CURRENTLY is in the midst of the widest ranging world wide recall, ever since the various governments around the world enacted legislation to REQUIRE auto manufactures recall their dangerous vehicles.
The Tribune Newspapers reported TODAY that Toyota CURRENTLY has over 9,000,000 various and different types of vehicles, all around the world, that are CURRENTLY subject to safety recalls.
Customer complaints to the various governments have include, but apparently are not limited to, unintended acceleration, steering and brake problems and fires. Toyota problems range from the smallest of their vehicles all the way up to their luxury vehicles, hybrids and trucks
That is largest number of different types of vehicles, as well as the highest total number, ever recalled by ANY other vehicle manufacturer in history according the AP story.
I guess the Toyota loyalist are worried they may get injured or killed at worst and the retail value of their cars will plummet at best.

The worst part is I haven't seen the price of toyotas plummet yet.
As soon as the tacomas are worth the same as rangers and canyons, i'm buying a used one. unless the new values plummet too!
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:18:50 -0800, Mudflap wrote:

I dno't know if Tacomas are covered under the recall.
Bad frames, yes...
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:18:50 -0800 (PST), Mudflap

Thanks I'll pass. Didn't like Toyotas before the recall, don't like 'em now. Their trucks have always been a joke.
BTW, I heard on the news that Kelly Bluebook has revised many Toyota prices downward as demand plummets.

Well, that may actually make them a good buy! My biggest complaint about Toyotas is that they are over priced compared to other vehicles that are similar in quality and performance. In my opinion Toyota has enjoyed an undeserved reputation for exceptional quality for several years. I don't think Toyota builds bad vehicles any more than other main line manufacturers, but I don't think they build exceptionally good vehicles either. As a friend of mine said, Toyotas are extra-ordinary, not extraordinary....
Ed
(Cross posting deleted, automatically)

Mike Hunter wrote:

Really? Why did you post this in a toyota, gm and ford group?

You probably are more correct in your assessment than most of us who post here, C.E.!
I thought you didn't like cross-posting. And, why are *you* talking about Toyotas in other brand newsgroups? Is that what you say you don't like?
Cross posting deleted.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Simply was replying to what you goofy guys have cross posted in this NG, dummy.

Mike Hunter wrote:

So two wrongs make a right?
Or, to put it another way, you're displaying hypocritical behavior.
Jeff

No they made an airplane, but I am not cross posting.
I merely responded to the question asked. It is guys like you, Canuk57 etall, who are cross posting the Toyota propaganda and anti GM BS in this NG and that was my point.

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:13:48 -0500, Mike Hunter wrote:

Bullshit. Ford had a recall of 12M vehicles for exploding cruise controls.

You need to look at the total number of vehicles each company had on the road at the time of the recalls, and the number involved.
The percentage of Toyotas on the road subject to recall, even with the MASSIVE recalls currently under way, are significantly lower than the percentage of either Ford or GM over the years.
The infamous engine mount recall by GM in the early 70's involved something like 80% of all GM vehicles on the road at that time. I installed a LOT of tie-down cables!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:08:38 -0500, clare wrote:

You're preaching to the chior. Over the years GM Ford and Chysler have recalled millions and millions of vehicles for even more serious issues than this; Ford even got away with issuing dashboard stickers for transmissions that could slip from Park to Reverse.
Toyota has one serious recall, albeit affecting a LOT of their vehicles, and all of a sudden they're the worst car maker on Earth.
This is affecting people who would never buy a Toyota in the first place a lot more than those of us who have had a few...or more.

Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

OMG! I remember that! But it wasn't that they would slip into reverse...I had a '76 Ford Granada with a automatic tranny that when you put it in park it occasionally wouldn't engage fully in the tranny, but on the column it was fine. The first time I discovered this, I had parked it on a very slight incline, got out of the car and started to walk away and then I heard "tick-tick-tick-tick..." getting progressively faster and looked to see the car rolling away! Had to run after it, unlock it while moving and jump in to hit the brake...Glad there was nothing around! lol Thier fix at the time was to issue a letter that said that this might happen and you should use the parking brake to prevent it from happening... lmao! NO car companies would not get away with that now, but Ford is a much different and better company now than in the 70's....and you have to remember too - Recalls were a "growing" evolution of car manufacturers and Gov'ts during that time. Back in the 60's 50's, 40's - There were no recalls...Things that happened on cars were considered "quirks" and owners were much more involved in the maintenance and fix of the cars than they are today's consumers, who demand 100% perfection all the time - no mistakes. So to say that "they got away with..." when you are referencing anything before, oh say around 1980 is kind of unfair. In fact, wasn't it the whole Ford Pinto gas tank thing in the 70's that really got the Gov't involved and the whole ball rolling on recalls and manufacturer's responsibility?
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:56:32 -0500, IYM wrote:

All true. What galls me is the people attacking TOyota and overlooking some of these magnificent recalls from American companies, like recalls are something new.

Recalls are by far nothing new. I remember when the likes of USA Today would front-page ANY recall GM or Ford had, no matter how insignicant it would be as far as safety or reliability was concerned.
The big thing is the total number of recalls the Toyotas are having today. It's totally in the tens of millions over the past few years, and like a snowball rolling downhill, growing on an almost daily basis. You can whitewash it any way you want, they have major issues to deal with.
And, unlike the tire pressure monitor, or dome light malfunction, or heaven forbid, the leaking gasket recalls GM had in the 80's and 90's, Toyota has REAL safety and relibility issues.
Sludging engines.
Rusting suspensions.
Throttles sticking wide open.
Braking issues.
If you feel that Toyota is being unfairly attacked, then you know exactly how I feel about the way GM has been attacked for the past 25-30 years.
Now, just compare the things on which the GM and Toyota were attacked.
jr92 wrote:

Hey - just want to let everyone know that Toyota has gotten into manufacturing keyboards and I picked one up today. Little pricey but the quality seems okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
damn.....never mind... :)

Best post of the day ..