Re: GM or Toyota

That easy, Toyota loyalist are going into other brand NGs and bringing up their old recalls in an futile effort to divert attention from the fact that Toyota CURRENTLY is in the midst of the widest ranging world wide recall, ever since the various governments around the world enacted legislation to REQUIRE auto manufactures recall their dangerous vehicles.

The Tribune Newspapers reported TODAY that Toyota CURRENTLY has over

9,000,000 various and different types of vehicles, all around the world, that are CURRENTLY subject to safety recalls.

Customer complaints to the various governments have include, but apparently are not limited to, unintended acceleration, steering and brake problems and fires. Toyota problems range from the smallest of their vehicles all the way up to their luxury vehicles, hybrids and trucks

That is largest number of different types of vehicles, as well as the highest total number, ever recalled by ANY other vehicle manufacturer in history according the AP story.

I guess the Toyota loyalist are worried they may get injured or killed at worst and the retail value of their cars will plummet at best.

Why is Toyota the subject of many recent post on a GM newsgroup? >
Reply to
Mike Hunter

The worst part is I haven't seen the price of toyotas plummet yet.

As soon as the tacomas are worth the same as rangers and canyons, i'm buying a used one. unless the new values plummet too!

Reply to
Mudflap

I thought you didn't like cross-posting. And, why are *you* talking about Toyotas in other brand newsgroups? Is that what you say you don't like?

Cross post> That easy, Toyota loyalist are going into other brand NGs and bringing up

Reply to
dr_jeff

Bullshit. Ford had a recall of 12M vehicles for exploding cruise controls.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Simply was replying to what you goofy guys have cross posted in this NG, dummy.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So two wrongs make a right?

Or, to put it another way, you're displaying hypocritical behavior.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

No they made an airplane, but I am not cross posting.

I merely responded to the question asked. It is guys like you, Canuk57 etall, who are cross posting the Toyota propaganda and anti GM BS in this NG and that was my point.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I dno't know if Tacomas are covered under the recall.

Bad frames, yes...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks I'll pass. Didn't like Toyotas before the recall, don't like 'em now. Their trucks have always been a joke.

BTW, I heard on the news that Kelly Bluebook has revised many Toyota prices downward as demand plummets.

Reply to
Tom W. Butts

In message , Mike Hunter writes

Or perhaps it's just that they're global with a car that passes the criteria of all governments whereas for instance the EU is very strict on what cars can be sold in it's area, which is why firms like Ford and GM have to make a totally different product for the EU.

Reply to
Clive

That why they don't sell US designed cars there?

The UK version of the Escort was pretty close to the US version. OTOH, GM had to buy Vauxhaul to get an 'in' in European markets.

I've heard they're junk, too...

Reply to
Hachiroku

A large part of why there are different cars for different markets is that the markets have different needs. The Japanese and European markets have fuel that is like 3 or 4 times higher than the price of fuel in the US. SO fuel economy is more important than in the US. In addition, both Europe and Japan are much more interested in fuel economy than we are in the US. In both markets, there is less room for cars, so smaller cars are more useful.

And, besides this, the people have different tastes. In the US, for years people have liked big boat-type cars. In Europe, people have preferred smaller, more nimble cars. For example, Olds was advertising that it had the first 4-wheel independent suspension car made in the US in 1987 or 1988. The Peugeot 504 on which I learned to drive had four-wheel indpendent suspension 13 years earlier.

And the emissions and safety requirements are different, too.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

I drove a GM-Vauxhal in 1981 while I was in the UK. Nice ride. The sister car n North America was a olds Firenza. The Firenza was a POC by comparison. Only the same in shape. Parts were of lower quality, poor assembly, wasn't the same engine nor tranny. Even the paint finish was sub-par to the Euro version. Real poor vehicle.

Reply to
Canuck57

You need to look at the total number of vehicles each company had on the road at the time of the recalls, and the number involved.

The percentage of Toyotas on the road subject to recall, even with the MASSIVE recalls currently under way, are significantly lower than the percentage of either Ford or GM over the years.

The infamous engine mount recall by GM in the early 70's involved something like 80% of all GM vehicles on the road at that time. I installed a LOT of tie-down cables!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
clare

You're preaching to the chior. Over the years GM Ford and Chysler have recalled millions and millions of vehicles for even more serious issues than this; Ford even got away with issuing dashboard stickers for transmissions that could slip from Park to Reverse.

Toyota has one serious recall, albeit affecting a LOT of their vehicles, and all of a sudden they're the worst car maker on Earth.

This is affecting people who would never buy a Toyota in the first place a lot more than those of us who have had a few...or more.

Reply to
Hachiroku

vw have been 4-wheel independent since the 30's. those french citroen

2cv's were in the 40's. the fiat 500 was independent in the 50's. it's basically only detroit garbage that is /still/ being sold with horse-and-cart solid axles.
Reply to
jim beam

OMG! I remember that! But it wasn't that they would slip into reverse...I had a '76 Ford Granada with a automatic tranny that when you put it in park it occasionally wouldn't engage fully in the tranny, but on the column it was fine. The first time I discovered this, I had parked it on a very slight incline, got out of the car and started to walk away and then I heard "tick-tick-tick-tick..." getting progressively faster and looked to see the car rolling away! Had to run after it, unlock it while moving and jump in to hit the brake...Glad there was nothing around! lol Thier fix at the time was to issue a letter that said that this might happen and you should use the parking brake to prevent it from happening... lmao! NO car companies would not get away with that now, but Ford is a much different and better company now than in the 70's....and you have to remember too - Recalls were a "growing" evolution of car manufacturers and Gov'ts during that time. Back in the 60's 50's, 40's - There were no recalls...Things that happened on cars were considered "quirks" and owners were much more involved in the maintenance and fix of the cars than they are today's consumers, who demand 100% perfection all the time - no mistakes. So to say that "they got away with..." when you are referencing anything before, oh say around 1980 is kind of unfair. In fact, wasn't it the whole Ford Pinto gas tank thing in the 70's that really got the Gov't involved and the whole ball rolling on recalls and manufacturer's responsibility?

Reply to
IYM

In message , =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= writes

I suspect that this incident is what caused both the US and UK governments to pass a law laying out automatic controls as P-R-N-D-L. I remember our government passing it after a series of AT cars went backward instead of forward, I remember one horrific incident where an old lady in an AT car was on a Ferry on the Tamar, but instead of going forward her car lurched back off of the ferry into 30feet of water, her body was recovered the next day.

Reply to
Clive

(Cross posting deleted, automatically)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well, that may actually make them a good buy! My biggest complaint about Toyotas is that they are over priced compared to other vehicles that are similar in quality and performance. In my opinion Toyota has enjoyed an undeserved reputation for exceptional quality for several years. I don't think Toyota builds bad vehicles any more than other main line manufacturers, but I don't think they build exceptionally good vehicles either. As a friend of mine said, Toyotas are extra-ordinary, not extraordinary....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White