Re: GM or Toyota

Page 3 of 3

UGLY, yes, but it would outhandle just about anything I could put it up against, and the suspension soaked up the WORST roads.. With the 1300 engine it was underpowered, but the handling ballanced things out.

On 02/13/2010 08:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

what was the suspension config? and didn't renault have some sporty versions of their 1300 engines? the r110 had some good outputs at that capacity iirc.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

displacement ,high revving engines to give them a bit of power. This was because the French government of the day taxed cars by engine displacement, (cc in England, cubes in America) and not by BHP.
--
Clive

On 02/13/2010 09:35 AM, Clive wrote:

the way it should be imo.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:56:14 -0800, jim beam wrote:

Oh, man the Alpine was always one of my dream cars...
It just looks so damn COOL!
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 01:00:12 -0500, clare wrote:

One thing you have to give most European cars, they have handling down to a science.
I had a new '78 Corolla econobox, and I couldn't take one corner too much over 45 mph. My roomate told me to take his '76 2002tii one day and I took the same corner at almost 75!!!!!!!

The generations ahead of us thought the European cars were rough riding. They though cruising the highway should feel like sitting on a living room sofa stuffed with marshmallow. A couple of years ago my rental car in Las Vegas was a Mercury Grand Marquis. It took some effort to keep it in a straight line and not just wallow along the road, but the Old Farts love them and the soft ride. .
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:47:11 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My favorite car I have on the road right now is an '89 Subaru GL coupe. Wanna talk about driving by the seat of your pants? I LOVE it!
I also had a Chrysler LHS that isolated you from the road a bit more, but not too much you couldn't feel it.
I like that, since it gives you more of an idea of road conditions.

The wife's Mercury Mystique is a real road car i n the european model. Goes like stink and handles well. Almost as good as the 67? Rover 2000TC my brother used to own - a real 4 door sports car. It would not make a good rallye car though - not enough suspension travel or compliance - and not enough ground clearance.
My old 88 New Yorker had a plush enough ride, but without the wallow of the BIG american iron like the GrandMarquis/Crown Vic or Lincoln or Caddy DeVille.
On 10/02/2010 6:44 PM, Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

I drove a GM-Vauxhal in 1981 while I was in the UK. Nice ride. The sister car n North America was a olds Firenza. The Firenza was a POC by comparison. Only the same in shape. Parts were of lower quality, poor assembly, wasn't the same engine nor tranny. Even the paint finish was sub-par to the Euro version. Real poor vehicle.

1972 Viva HC (Magnum) was a better car. It was rather "basic" but it did the job, well, for a lot of years. ALso sold as a Firenza - but Pontiac, not olds. And it was MADE in old Limey.
writes

Ellesmere Port, make all the Astra's for both Marques and Luton Make all the vans for both marques. Factories around Europe make different models like Germany produces the Corsa with both badges, It's just that all the output of the combined factories make the full range and in Britain all the cars sold are all badged as Vauxhall, whereas in the rest of Europe the standard brand name is Opel. Where "Which?" Divides cars into five categories from very good to very poor,Vauxhall/Opel come out at the bottom of average.
--
Clive

And just when, for the information of others on this list, did that happen?????? LONG before the Escort came on the scene in England.

And the Vauxhaull/Opel is one of the best car lines you can buy in Europe. They were not a BAD car on this side of the pond either - at least not the Vauxhall. Never had Opels in Canada to any extent, just like the US didn't get many Vauxhaulls.
My last Vauxhaul was a 72 Viva HC Magnum rebranded as a Pontiac Firenza. GREAT little car.As long as you remembered it was a british car, not a Pontiac, and serviced it accordingly.

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:51:29 -0500, clare wrote:

Opel sent some of their cooler cars here, the Manta 2 door coupe, and the GT, which was way cool. I almost bought one but it was in too rough shape for my limited skills at the time.
snip

I thought Toyota's goal was to be number one...and so they are!