Re: GMC: "We are professional grade"

Commentator wrote:

> >> Ride a bike. Car pool. Lots of alternatives to owning a car yourself. >> >> Lifestyle choice all the way. > >You obviously have no idea of the variety of circumstances in which >people in the US find themselves. Open your eyes. > > >Jack

Being self employed I need to get to customers' sites with tools and equipment on a regular basis. The stuff is not heavy, but bulky and expensive/sensitive (think computers, printers, network equipment, etc) - not something to haul on a bicycle, throw in a taxi, or put in the box of a big deisel pickup. However, there are many times where something like a Honda FIT or a S.M.A.R.T. would not be adequate. Even a normal passenger car is not ideal, so I have been driving MiniVans for the last 20 years. I definitely look at the purchase of a suitable vehicle as an investment. And I can tell you one thing for ABSOLUTE CERTAIN. My INVESTMENT in my vehicles has paid of WAY better than my investments in the financial marketplace (stocks/bonds/GICs, and Mutual Funds). Over the lat 20 years they have averaged less than 7%

My van was at the point of needing replacement or significant repairs.

I decided to INVEST $1600 and a few hours of work to keep the van on the road for (hopefully) a couple more years.

For me, a NEW vehicle would be a poor investment. Invensting in a vehicle that would double the fuel mileage I now get would also give a poor rate of return ($16000 instead of $1600 to save no more than $20 a week - you do the math. The new vehicle would be worn out before it would save me the difference in cost.

Some day I will NEED to replace the van (if I don't end up retiring before I wear it out one more time) and then I'll look for something that uses less gas at a decent price. (currently a 3.8L Pontiac with

360,000 km on it)
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

You need either to find a new investment adviser or put more money in stocks. The average rate of return for most of the major indexes was around 11 to 13%.

And you need to stop trying to time the market.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Never tried timing the market. I just put a bunch of money in and let the market take it's course. has done significantly beter for several years, but has tanked many times as well. Lust lost the last 2 years gains this year. I'm about ready to pull it out and buy a new truck!!!!

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca