Re: Help! Sable's CC dying...

Question: Does it only do that while in cruise control? We have had a couple of grandmarquis' that have seemd like the transmission was going out.....like you could lay it to the floor and wouldn't hardly get anywhere,
engine racing, and have trouble shifting between gears. It turned out (one is an '83, other '92) that a small, $2 peice of plastic that I beleive connects some linkage between the throttle body and transmission was broken, and prevented proper shifting (and cuased excessive wear on the pressure plats in the tranny). I've heard of a guy that burned up his transmission because it was like that for too long. I also heard of a guy that replaced that small plastic part with a LEGO (lol) and worked fine. Other than this, it might be your cruise controll actuator croaking. You may just have to keep your foot on the pedal ;-)
And if that wasn't the problem......maybe you'll come accross that at some time or another and then you'll know what to do! Hope it hepled.
Nic
or your reply won't reach me.
or your reply won't reach me. Don't neglect the possibility that the tune-up on this engine might be bad. Low power could be causing the downshift that is not evident at 40mph. How's the mileage? Does it run well at high speed without the cruise? If so then the multifunction switch is suspect if that's where the CC is located. I have taken the switches apart and cleaned the contacts. I suppose WD-40 might work. The switches are not designed to be repaired. The WD-40 might help you diagnose the problem and then you can make a fix or replace decision.
In article

Yes -- *only* while in CC.
I'm convinced there's nothing wrong with the tranny (it's doesn't slip at all, even if I gun it from a light).
--

Reply to mike1@@@usfamily.com sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

"An election is nothing more than an advance auction of stolen goods."
It could be a vacuum leak or faulty break switch .
CJB
or your reply won't reach me.