Re: Highway Patrol officer helped slow a runaway Toyota Prius from 94 mph to a safe stop

Page 1 of 3
The video is all over the news, not good for Toyota. There is nothing like a visual aid that counters a point one is trying to make. Wanna bet
it will end up on "Cops" or "Worlds Worst?"
Another of these little MOWING MACHINES runs out of control. My take on the issue is that Toyota sends the engineers with the highest IQ to work at Lexus, while those with very low IQ are assigned to Toyota. I know because I once owned a little Toyota Tercel. UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED, you know...
EL CAJON, Calif. A California Highway Patrol officer helped slow a runaway Toyota Prius from 94 mph to a safe stop on Monday after the car's accelerator became stuck on a San Diego County freeway, the CHP said.
Prius driver James Sikes called 911 about 1:30 p.m. after accelerating to pass another vehicle on Interstate 8 near La Posta and finding that he could not control his car, the CHP said.
"I pushed the gas pedal to pass a car and it did something kind of funny... it jumped and it just stuck there," the 61-year-old driver said at a news conference. "As it was going, I was trying the brakes...it wasn't stopping, it wasn't doing anything and it just kept speeding up," Sikes said, adding he could smell the brakes burning he was pressing the pedal so hard.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_runaway_prius
THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS
"The monkey should be treated with the same respect as the lion"
On 09/03/2010 12:13 PM, Mike Hunter wrote:

Could be a setup or staged and here is why I say this.
First off is driver negligence. You have brakes, and if they are at all maintained two feet on the breaks with parking brake applied will stop any vehicle I know even with the motor going. Brakes are stronger than motors. So did the driver not only forget to use them, were they maintained properly?
Second issue is there is always neutral. They teach that in drivers ed when I took it. Once in nuetral...problem is purely due care in pulling over and turning it off.
Third, there is the ignition. Turn it off long enough for it to stop and then to run (but not start) and coast. Works even without brakes!
So ask, why did it take this incopentat driver so long to do some basic steps?
Which makes me think this driver is carelessly gradstanding like OJ did.

--------------
Politicians don't provide anything, the tax payers do.

Might not be possible to set it back to run position with a pushbutton ignition. Know what I mean? But, you and I can only offer conjecture unless we've used a Prius or read the manual.

Because our system of testing drivers does not weed out the incompetent ones, who comprise almost 90% of drivers on the road.

Are you saying that it is alright for auto manufacturers to produce dangerous vehicles because the driver should be able to overcome anthing that fails, weather if be faulty steering, sudden acceleration, or bad brakes, if the driver is paying attention???????????????????
Are you tying to say that the driver, who paid tens of thousands of dollars for a vechicle he should reasonably assume will steer WHERE he wants it to go, accelerate WHEN he wants to (and NOT accererate when he does NOT WANT IT TOO), and stop WHEN he wants it to, should reasonably expect all these things?????
Myself, I think if a person only paid 25 grand for a car, and it suddenly accelerated out of control or would not stop when the brakes were applied, it would HAVE to be the fault of the driver. After all, you only get what you pay for!!!!!!!!!!!
OTOH, I really think that:
One should not HAVE TO BE READY TO PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN NUTREAL IN CASE THE CAR SUDDENLY ACCELERATES OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!
The car should not do so in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
While a customer should not have to expect a car to rattle, or have a bad 'fit an finish" (lingo for the likes of Consumer Reports rap on the alleged "bad GM quality"), the same customer should expect his Toyota to STOP when he wants it to!!!!

================= I never said anything even remotely resembling what you want to believe I said.
=================
Are you tying to say that the driver, who paid tens of thousands of dollars for a vechicle he should reasonably assume will steer WHERE he wants it to go, accelerate WHEN he wants to (and NOT accererate when he does NOT WANT IT TOO), and stop WHEN he wants it to, should reasonably expect all these things?????
================= I never said anything even remotely resembling what you want to believe I said.
================= Myself, I think if a person only paid 25 grand for a car, and it suddenly accelerated out of control or would not stop when the brakes were applied, it would HAVE to be the fault of the driver. After all, you only get what you pay for!!!!!!!!!!!
OTOH, I really think that:
One should not HAVE TO BE READY TO PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN NUTREAL IN CASE THE CAR SUDDENLY ACCELERATES OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!
================= By saying that, you have proven that I am correct when I say that about 90% of drivers are and always will be unqualified to operate a motor vehicle of any kind. A driver must be ready for absolutely ANYTHING.

I guess you could include me in the 90% of drivers unqualified to drive, even though in 35 years and about a million miles (knock on wood), I have never been involved in an accident. Been lucky a few times, but I consider myself to be both a skilled and safe driver.
However:
I can see a driver not being prepared when his car, for no apparent reason, suddenly fully accelerates.
I can see a driver not being prepard when his car, for no apparent reason, does not stop when he applies the brakes.
I can see a driver not being prepared when his car, for no apparent reason, does not steer in the direction in which he wants it to.
Especially in heavy traffic.
Even if he is keeping a 'safe' distance from other traffic.
Is this what we have come to expect from the "king of quality"????
Pay your 25 grand for our car, but be prepared in case it wont stop on it's own???
No one here is suggesting the cars should drive themselves, but gimme a break (not pun intended).
Like I said, I guess you get what you pay for.

You do expect that any car will stop, go, turn when you want it to, however, I've had those things go wrong over the years on various cars I've driven. You have to have some modicum of training and ability to deal with those situations. Forget Toyota, it has happened with every brand of car at some point. Mechanical devices fail.
Just as you should have a flashlight and candles in the house for the inevitable power failure, you should be mentally prepared for mechanical defects that will occur. Toyota is still on the hook for the real problem, but most of the situations can be lessened by an attentive driver. Especially now that is has received so much publicity and the news media has shown what to do.
YA THINK?

[...]

The more stupid drivers on the road, the more Toyotas, and the more Toyotas, the more chances of accidents like this.

The news tonight had the recording of part of the 911 call: Operator: Did you try shifting to neutral? Driver: NO
He later said he was afraid to because he thought the car might flip. He should have his license revoked.

Nothing more need be said.
wrote

This is America, where we allow people to drive even if they're legally blind or clinically dead.

It sounds pretty accurate. Anyone can drive so the whole chain of predators gets fed. A good reason for most cars being automatic, so the drivers go into "automatic pilot."
Few people know that they should shift into neutral if that occurs. Most likely they'll jump out the window. ;)
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:46:28 -0800 (PST), TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle

Uh, and the problem with that is?
On 09/03/2010 7:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Agreed. He was obviously grandstanding. Maybe thought he was going to get nipped for speeding.
Also said something like he was busy controling the car to shift it, yet he could dial 911 on the cell...
Cops should yank his license.
--
--------------
Politicians don't provide anything, the tax payers do.
On 3/10/2010 7:07 AM, Canuck57 wrote:

Cops don't yank licenses. Courts do.
On 2010-03-10 14:30:42 -0800, zimpzampzormp

True. Just not often enough.
Now, if we could just go after the motor vehicle departments of each state, and their obviously-lacking test requirements. It's too easy to get, and retain, a license. Period.
On 10/03/2010 3:30 PM, zimpzampzormp wrote:

Yes, but if the cop does not charge him, courts will never see him to make it permanent. And yes, in some places they can take your license for a time pending court.
--
Politicians don't provide anything, the tax payers do.

Well, I agree with what you're saying. However, if you're going to insult people, which I do very often, you should at least spell incopentat correctly... incompetent.