Re: In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction

Page 4 of 8
wrote:

VW beetle had the gravity feed. Not sure that I'd want a gravity feed if I was involved in an accident....... ;-)

What beetle had gravity feed? Every one I ever saw/owned/worked on needed the fuel pump as the tank was at about the same level as the carb and roughly 8 feet ahead of it. A front mounted pump pushing the fuel would have reduced the tendancy for the system to vapour lock, which my '49 did all too regularly in warm weather (and there was seldom anything OTHER than warm weather in Zambia) running on the optimistically 70 something octane regular leaded fuel available in the early seventies.
Now a Model "T" ford was gravity feed. I believe the model "A" was too. My 1928 Chevy National had a pump that drew the fuel from the rear mounted tank by engine vacuum, and then fed it from the #48 juice can sized pump reservoir to the carb by gravity.
The early Fords would occaisionally run out of gas going up a hill, so you needed to BACK up steep hills. It also helped that reverse was geared lower than 1st.
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:56:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

If I recall correctly quite a few with the gas heaters used that system for the heaters. But I wouldn't doubt but that there's regional differences & my memory may be cloudy as virtually all original beetle's in this area have returned to mother nature many many years ago.

The gas heaters were mounted above the fuel tank and had their own electric fuel pump. H

Guess the two that I'd seen on had identical aftermarket units put on then. Luckily I've not "had the pleasure" of working on an old Beetle in over 15 years. :-)

Don't forget Corvairs had gas heaters also.

No, all gas heaters were mounted above the fuel tanks and had their own small electric fuel pu to spray the fuel into the fire-box. Basically a low presure fuel injector.
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:26:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

No..... The two that I had experience with had no electrical fuel pump. Which is why I mentioned them.

My '64 Corvair that I had, the fuel line had a tee in it so the engine fuel pump supplied both the heater and the engine.

Where were the heaters mounted? H

About 6" above and rear of the pedals. Personally thought it was a stupid design, but then again the Beetles were never the greatest for heat I'd heard.

I'm not sure what you saw, but that wasn't a gas heater. Gas heaters were mounted inside and parallel to the left front quarter panel, under the front deck lid. They were/are roughly the shape and size of an old Electolux cannister vacuum.
Personally thought it was a

Actually the heaters were ok but the defrosters were horrible. Add a gas heater and you could almost cook a roast in one.:-) Btw, I still have two, a '62 sunroof and a '69 vert. H

I'll have to take your word on that, despite how worked & was used as.
Bill Putney wrote:

wouldn't the arcing be only where the actual motor assembly would be? could this not be a sealed unit? Would you even want gas in there? I would think gas does a poor job of lubrication - you'd have some kind of grease in the actual motor assembly, wouldn't you?
the gears that pump the gasoline won't be arcing...
fwiw, my fish tank pump uses a sealed pump assy with a magnetic drive assembly - no chance of water touching the electrical parts.
Ray
Ray wrote:

Hey hey hey! One question at a time! 8^)
Actually, the commutation (brushes) are in the fuel that is flowing thru the pump. The motor armature, magnets, pumping elements, and commutator are in the same compartment swimmimg/spinning in the fuel.

Nope. The "bearings" in the ones I worked with (supplied to GM and Ford) were simply holes molded into the plastic end caps of the motors - again - in fuel. That is typical of the modern automotive fuel pump. One reason fuel pumps can become noisy is that those plastic bushings wear (actually, usually the metal shafts wear a lot faster than the plastic due to abrassive glass fibers in the plastic) and the armature starts rattling around.

No - but there are brushes.

Magnetic drives are a great way of eliminating rotating seals, but that magnetic drive wouldn't transmit the torque needed to develop 60-90 psi. 8^)

The intank fuel pumps I've worked on are totally wet, with fuel flowing right through the motor.

And none of the fuel pumps I've worked on were gear pumps.

I try to keep gas in my fuel tank, mainly to avoid the inconvenience of running out of gas. I guess I get the added benefit of not having my fuel pump explode. It actually works out not too bad.

It also increases the longetivity of your pump as the gas is it's cooling system. H

this also means you should keep your tank level from getting too low. Otherwise you can shorten the life of your pump. -------------- Alex
Alex Rodriguez wrote:

Another urban legend.
Matt