Re: 'Like house of cards,' used trucks fall

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

A LOT of fools in this world.
A new car is one of the WORST investments ANY person will ever make. NOBODy really NEEDS a new car. You only drive a new car ONCE, and then it is a used car. Why not buy used in the first place, and let some other fool pay for the LUXURY of driving the new car off the lot.

Just because somebody has a lot of money doesn't meen he's cornered the market on brains.

Don't get me wrong I love people who can not afford to buy new cars and rationalize that fact by thinking it is wiser to buy used cars!
If it were not for hundreds of thousands of people willing to by used cars every couple of years, it would cost the millions of us that buy new vehicles every year a lot more money to buy our new vehicles as often.
Now we can only find people willing to buy used appliances, furniture, clothing etc., using the same reasoning, folks like my wife and I could save a lot more money.
<clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada> wrote in message

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 04:02:53 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"

And a new car does NOT guarantee that will not happen. Not by a long shot.

I know a lot of cases where that backfires too. If the salesman pulls up in a brand new MegaBux Deluxe, the customer says "this joker's making too much money - To make that kind of money in that business he's ripping someone off - likely me!!" And he buys elsewhere.

I'm interested in how you could have owned more than 70 new vehicles. Man you've got to be old ....... or a car salesman or?? A curious mind just wondering.
Is 82 old?

I can't compete with Mike for the sheer numbers of car owned, but then he is 27 years older than me...I still have time to catch him.
I've owned -
1972 Ford Pinto 1975 Datsun 280Z 1963 Austin-Healey Sprite 1968 Austin-Healey Sprite 1978 Ford Fairmont 1974 Jensen-Healey 1973 Ford Pinto 1972 Jensen-Healey (number 2) 1981 Plymouth Reliant 1981 Audi Coupe 1978 Ford Courier 1983 Mazda 626 1975 Jensen-Healey 1974 Jensen-Healy (number 3) 1978 Ford Fiesta 1986 Ford Taurus 1982 Toyota Cressida 1986 Ford Ranger 1989 Ford Taurus Wagon 1992 Ford F150 1996 Ford Explorer 1997 Ford Expedtion 2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible 2003 Ford Expedition 2003 Saturn Vue 2004 Ford Thunderbird 1992 Pontiac Firebird 2006 Ford Mustang V6 Coupe 2006 Nissan Frontier 2007 Ford Fusion 2008 Mazda 3
In the list there are only four vehicle I regret owning - the '81 Audi, the'82 Cressida, the '83 626 and the '03 Vue. There are several I regret selling too soon - '75 280Z, '81 Audi Cope, '01 Mustang GT Convertible, and '04 Thunderbird. Most of the rest I got rid of at an appropriate time.
There are also a long list of family vehicles that i have driven and maintained...Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, VWs.
Ed
I can not list all of the vehicles I have owned but I did own more than one off of the following; every GM brand but Cadillac. Every Chrysler brand but Chrysler. Every Ford car brand including a model "T" and two Edsells as well as half dozen trucks. Studebaker, Packard, Nash, Nash Healey, Keiser, Dodge Brothers, Teraplane. Imports from Ford, VW, Borgward, Honda, Toyota including one of the first owners of a Toyopet, a half dozen Lexus' and some more that I can't recall at the moment ;)

Mike hunt wrote:

I'm waiting until next week, when they'll sell for just $1 above the cost of the fuel left in the tank. ;)
Wait another month and you'll have to pay to get the gas still in the tank. The truck will be free. ;) ;) ;)
On Jun 23, 7:54pm, snipped-for-privacy@whoever.com wrote:

Are you referring to Tundras? ;)

Mike hunt wrote:

Nah, the GM/GMC/F-Series.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

That's strange. The GM brands have always out sold the Tundra and they all get better fuel mileage as well

Sure, for those who need a good truck the price will continue to drop and the deal gets sweeter. But with housing/construction/consumers in the septic tank a lot LESS people are going to need trucks.