Re: Lots of blue smoke at startup and idle

Although it could be the valve guides (particularly the start-up smoke). Smoke from valve seals when running usually isn't a big problem with turbocharged diesels. I'd suspect the turbocharger as the main culprit. Another possibility would be an engine with a lot of sludge. The sludge blocks the drain path from the heads back tot eh oil pan. This leaves a lot of oil in the heads around the vale stems - and encourages leakage into the intake track.
If I wanted a decent answer, I'd ask for Jim Warman's advise. He actually works on Ford diesels.
Ed

I had a '84 Ford Escort with worn rings & guides. Tried to gain additional mileage on the tired engine by adding some "no smoke" oil additive. Problem is it thickened up the oil a little too much & I blew the cam seal right out of the block & set the engine on fire. Had lots of smoke then.