Re: Low Profile vs Standard Tires - Durability?

I thought the major design attribute to tire wear was the rubber compound. A harder rubber will wear longer than a softer compound, but will have less
traction, be it 80 series or 45 series.
Now the more fundamental question: What is the primary purpose/objective of a tire - to wear long or to provide traction? For me it is the latter. I will sacrifice the wear mileage anyday for a stickier, better traction, and thus safer, tire. It is for that reason that I typically do not use all season tires. To me an all-season tire is like a one-does-all golf club works as a sand wedge, putter and driver. These are three different functions and a golf club optimized for a sand trap will probably be a poor putter. Likewise, tires made for dry conditions will be poor snow tires and snow tires will likely give less than optimal traction in dry weather. I have a set of summer and a set of winter tires for each car.
Larry

I know that among Focus owners there are complaints about the 50-series tires on some sportier models. They handle well but tend to break in potholes. Apparently it is quite common for Ford dealers in places like New York City to recommend that owners replace them with the regular 60 series tires on smaller rims (15 inch vs. 16).
Personally I think that all cars intended for regular real-world use should be available with 70 series tires. To their credit, DC offers this on the Neon, as does Honda on the Civic, but on most car models only offer the sportier tires. Even the new Kia Spectra5 pushed 50-series donuts as standard, for Pete's sake.
wrote

New
should
I agree totally. The lower profile make the things look like the Mexicans across the border just got done with the customization job. All that's missing is the dingle balls.
Ted
You feel better with your racial generalization? The put down makes you feel superior hey? Can't make your point without belittling an entire race of people?
--
_______________________________________

Troll
Troll? If you meant that I am/was a troll, you are wrong. I am a regular here with a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. Not a troll.
Trolls don't normally include their webshots account when trolling now do they?
--
_______________________________________
Well hell....... I'm sorry about that! I'll be sure and take you off my troll list and put you on my idiot list. Bob

damn, did you have to top post on this one?
-a|ex
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 02:30:05 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio

Low profile tires simply will not last the same length of time that a similarly constructed 80 series tire will last. (heat torsional forces etc).
BUT !
They look pretty & they feel "a bit sharper" when handling.
Life is just full of trade offs. Here is yet another set of them.

Mind elaborating on that? I don't know much (I know virtually nothing) about tire construction, but offhand I can't think of any reason why a lower profile wouldn't last at least as long as an equivalently constructed taller tire. I can imagine the sidewalls not lasting as long (since the torsional forces are spread across a shorter distance), but I've never had a tire's sidewall wear out: every tire I've ever replaced has been because of tread wear or road hazard, and I don't see how sidewall height would affect either one.
Now, if you'd like to say that a lower profile tire will typically be a higher performance tire, and hence will have a softer compound so it will wear out more quickly, I'll agree completely. But that isn't inherent in "lower profile", and isn't my idea of "equivalent construction."
I don't think the "modern" low profile tire and big wheel look that great. I think they look line the wheel is wearing a black sanitary pad for a tire. I feel like telling the dealer to send it flowers and a box of chocolates and I'll take it out to dinner next week.