Re: mileage counter

zooky wrote:

are you talking about the trip counter??????
Replace it. It fits in the instrument cluster like the fuel gauge does. Only source I know for buying the part is a Ford dealer.

Why fix it? You can figure out when to change your oil either by watching the trip counter (after it turns over to all 0's 3 times, it is time to change the oil) or after every 8 fillups or so. Seems like a waste of money to me. And even if you do change it, you will have a warning on the title that the odometer did not work.
Jeff

In at least some places, you can set a replacement odometer to be the same as the failed one without having to deal with stickers, title warnings, etc. that you would have to deal with when selling the car if the odometer does not work, or is replaced with an odometer with zero or otherwise different mileage.
It is also more convenient to measure mileage for maintenance purposes with the regular odometer than trying to remember how many times the trip odometer turned over (unless you drive little enough that you do maintenance by time intervals).
Timothy J. Lee

No. I called the trip counter the odometer which goes up to 999.9, that works fine. It is the total mileage counter that has stopped.

Are you getting the odometer and the trip counter confused? The odometer IS the total milage counter which looks like this: 19988.9 or 199988.9. The trip counter IS the one that goes up to 999.9 miles. You need to go to a Ford dealer and have your speedometer, odometer and trip counter checked. It may need to be replaced.
~CyberWolf

Maybe I didn't explain the problem right.
It is a 1990 Grand Marquis, 5.0 EFI. The speedometer, odometer and trip counter are all anolog with moving parts for the digits. It is the odometer that has stopped working. The speedometer and trip counter work fine.

Just
that
Just go to your nearest Ford dealer and have the analog part for the odometer replaced. The dealer may have to special order the analog part for your odometer.
It is analog, but the parts are not cable driven. The speedometer works like a tachometer. Both the odometer and trip meter runs off a little motor. I believe 89 was the last year for the cable driven speedometer.
wrote:

odometer
It