Re: OIL&FILTER

Advice please. 1996 ford contour gl zetec 116,000 miles. I called ford

> and they had the oil and filter $49.00 to change.

That's insane. Most places will change the oil and filter for you for around $15 or $20.

Are they going to do a whole tune-up or something too, for that price?

If not, changing it yourself is easy, if you have the tools (inexpensive) and the desire.

I would like to switch to MOBIL 1

I don't know about the differences and tradeoffs, so no comment about this.

And what kind of spark plugs should I install?

The ones that go with the engine. :-). Go to a local parts shop and ask them for the spark plugs for that car. The ones for my BII were $1.50 apiece. Or just have the service station doing the oil change do that job as well.

I have had the car for only 5 months.

I hope this is your second oil change you are talking about!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

You're welcome.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

the spark plugs fitted to the zetec are platinum and good for 40k miles. NGK....PTR5-A also you should bear in mind the zetec uses 5w-40 mineral based oil,...mobil

1 is NOT recomended for this engine,

Reply to
steve

oil,...mobil

What? I've owned two 2.0l engines. A Zetec, and the SOHC version. I've never seen the recommendation for 5w40 oil. For that matter, the only 5w40 I've seen is Shell Rotella Synthetic.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

error on my behalf, i meant 5w20............... true ive never come across reccomended 5-40 either...or even used it for that matter

Reply to
steve

Well, you're still not quite right. 5w20 didn't become a Ford specified oil until 2001 or so, and 5w20 is semi-synthetic.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

My Ford dealer charges about $21 for oil, filter, lube & top off of fluids. Oh, they do a "safety check" too so they can sell me other services.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton