Re: OT - Re: CHOKE on this!

sorry to be off topic like this, but i hope this thread might help some one out there.
~ curtis ======================
I used to think smokers who couldn't quit were just copping out.
Those women would were able to eat right, exercise, and everything we told them they needed to do, but often could *not* stop smoking. It was then that I realized what a powerful addiction cigarette smoking is - wow! Natalie =========== hi natalie - here's the REAL reason that smoking is so hard to quit.
the cigarette becomes a "real person" in the individual's life.
the smoker has the one "friend" who was there to share their victory or defeat. it is the one "friend" who will listen when nobody else will. when everyone else has turned them away, it is the one true "friend" that has stayed there to see them at their worse and not judge them. so, you see, the cigarette is the one thing is a person's life that they are been able to relate to. they may not like to smoke and want to quit, but when times got tough, or when times where great, it was the one thing that they would share in their moment of happiness or agony.
and so when one decides to quit, it is similar to going through the death of a friend. only you are the one who is killing the friend. and anyone who has lost a friend knows how painful that can be. what would you give to bring your friend back to life again? to be able to share in the feelings that you two had together just one more time? oh, how one yens for that feeling that is missing in their life.
here's a snippet of what's been posted, see if you can find the strong tie between the two...... --------------- My mother-in-law, a Nazi death camp survivor smokes (I can't say I blame her after what she went through),
The woman's incredible, and I wish she could stop so we could have her on this planet longer. -----------------
death camp survivor? and smokes? how can this be linked together? as a vietnam vet, i can tell you there are men who has experienced their friends shot down and feel they should have joined them, but somehow lived. the bond is so strong between the experience and what couples this experience to them - the cigarette.
but how you may ask?
you CAN bring this friend back to life. you CAN experience the feelings you shared in that moment you remembered so well. and all you have to do is light it up just ONE more time................
smoking is more than "just a habit" and to be able to quit, one has to be able to commit to a life change. as one person wrote......
----------------- Sorry to hear that. I tried filters, patches, training programs, but none worked for me. One day, it came down to that I couldn't afford college for my wife, and my 3 pack/day habit. I said I had to quit and I did. I promised myself I would start back up when I could afford it, but that was 10+ years ago. Now with a mortgage and a child, I"m guessing I'll have to remain smoke-free, but I do enjoy the smell now and then. ------------------
just as some people have to go get help to get over the loss of a friend, some people will go a quit smoking clinic - to deal with the loss of not smoking.
it's tough to quit smoking, but it can be done. the reason i wrote this response to this tread was not to try to convert someone into stop smoking, but i figure if they understood the reason WHY it is so hard to quit, they might be able to prepare themselves better for the day that do take that final step to quit and be to able to quit for good.
because if they don't - the saying goes - sooner or later - everyone stops smoking.
~ curtis
ps. i had to do this with alcohol because i was involved in gun fights when i came back in the states from the war and i knew either the alcohol or the shoot outs were going to kill me.
c. palmer wrote:

Hi Curtis, Is this something you concluded on your own or did you read it somewhere? The reason I ask is because I read something similar to it about....maybe...15 years ago. A newspaper columnist, Mike Royko I believe, wrote nearly the same thing in relating his experience kicking the habit. He spoke of his pack of Camels as an old friend who had been with him through good times, bad times, etc. and could always be counted on to be there. He also spoke of reaching for his "friend" during good or bad times and feeling a sense of loss for some time after he quit smoking. Even then I could really relate to it, it really hit home. Yeah, I'm still smoking 1.5 packs a day :( dammit.             Tom
BTW Just to be clear,Your post reminded me of that column, I wasn't trying to say you stole the idea or anything.
Hi Curtis, Is this something you concluded on your own or did you read it somewhere? The reason I ask is because I read something similar to it about....maybe...15 years ago. A newspaper columnist, Mike Royko I believe, wrote nearly the same thing in relating his experience kicking the habit. He spoke of his pack of Camels as an old friend who had been with him through good times, bad times, etc. and could always be counted on to be there. He also spoke of reaching for his "friend" during good or bad times and feeling a sense of loss for some time after he quit smoking. Even then I could really relate to it, it really hit home. Yeah, I'm still smoking 1.5 packs a day :( dammit. Tom BTW Just to be clear,Your post reminded me of that column, I wasn't trying to say you stole the idea or anything. =============== hi tom - i never read mike royko's column. this is from years of observations and talking with people in general about a common problem - habits. there is also another saying that i'm finding very truth. you don't break a habit - you only replace it with another habit. now, that's not a bad thing if the habit you are replacing it with is something that is positive in your life, such as a hobby, etc.
i lost a my first friend to alcohol. he was 34 when he died. we talked about his "habit" the drink was there to celebrate the "good times" like ringing in the new year. it was there in the "bad times" to help ease the pain. it was the one thing in his life that stayed with him after his wife and family left him. is that much different that smoking?
i've watched friends die from smoking - inch by inch. the one that comes to mind is a friend i knew of 20 years. he worked at a factory and they were sitting around the table smoking and their old boss came by on an O bottle and said, "boys, listen to me. don't smoke. look at me. i've smoked all these years and now see how i've ended up." as my friend was telling me this, he was taking a drag off of his cigarette. we talked about his past life. he had all the tattoos that would make you want to go to the other side of the street if you saw him coming. he served time in jail. he's divorced, and remarried. and all the other things that happens in a person's life. the one thing that was common to all of it was that the cigarette was THE ONLY item that stayed with him through it all. and i watched him through the years as his health slowly failed. i asked him one time, "roy, why do you still smoke? you saw what it happen to your boss. you can see that you are following the same path......why?"
he took a one drag off the cigarette and said, "curtis, have you have something that you can't get rid of? i mean i've tried to put it down but i miss it and i don't mean like an addiction. i miss it because of a bond between me and it. i can't explain it, but that it about the best i can do in putting it into words."
i watched him as he got his O bottle and had to wear the hose to his nose and he would smoke while wearing the oxygen line - can you believe that? the last time i saw him was about two weeks before he died. he was sitting in the car, with cigarette in hand, and i said, "roy, that cigarette is going to kill you."
he said, "yeah, i know" and we both had a good laugh because we both knew what he meant.
again, i know this is off topic, but i feel it is just an important as discussing some high tech developments on cars because if someone reads this and it gets them to think, it's worth to it to me to write this thread. maybe that's why i'm trying to explain this - i don't know - i just feel i need to get the word out that the cigarette habit is a lot more than a habit that can just put down and walk away from. some can - but a lot can't and if they understand the problem, then maybe they can find a solution to it.
i wish you the best on kicking the habit.
~ curtis
p.s - i don't know how many know this, but smoking has been proven to cause impotence. the reason is simple - nicotine is a stimulant and causes blood vessels to restrict. the other stuff in the cigarette stops up blood vessels. working together - causes the plumbing to have problems by not getting blood flow where you want it. again, doesn't happen to everyone, just as lung cancer doesn't happen to everyone that smoke, but if you are having problems, then it might be something to consider.