Re: Question about recharge/conversion to R134

Didnt any directions come with the recharge setup?
You drain all the oil you can out of the compressor... but I wouldnt bother.
1. The compressor has been exposed to air for 2 years. It is prolly 18
years old. The shaft seal is suspect at the least. - get a rebuilt, it will come with no oil.
2. DEFINITELY change the accumulator... I doubt it has a receiver /dryer unless it's not a domestic.
Change ALL the o-rings and check the lands and receivers closely... it they are pitted, you are going to have leaks and, no, they wont clean up.
I would ALSO change the orifice
Dont have to tell you to NOT use PAG, do I?

charge
MaxCool
evacuate
the
valve
read
is
not
able
with
all
complete
of
with
off
good
receiver/dryer

I don't know.... I'm impressed with the proper technique observed so far... but he's worried about not pulling a vacuum from both the high and low side ports?
If you pull a good vacuum on the low side only, it'll be pulled in the entire system.
I can't believe somebody would put gunk in the high side port like that... unless they had already changed the valve a few times and got tired of it continuing to leak. In any case, I doubt you'll be able to dig it out enough to keep some from going in the system once you remove the valve.
Of course.. If you are flushing....