Re: Question about recharge/conversion to R134

Didnt any directions come with the recharge setup?

You drain all the oil you can out of the compressor... but I wouldnt bother.

  1. The compressor has been exposed to air for 2 years. It is prolly 18 years old. The shaft seal is suspect at the least.

- get a rebuilt, it will come with no oil.

  1. DEFINITELY change the accumulator... I doubt it has a receiver /dryer unless it's not a domestic.

Change ALL the o-rings and check the lands and receivers closely... it they are pitted, you are going to have leaks and, no, they wont clean up.

I would ALSO change the orifice

Dont have to tell you to NOT use PAG, do I?

I am attempting to convert my 1985 sedan to R134A. It lost its charge > about 2 yrs ago. Have nice gauge manifold set, and had the use of a MaxCool > vac pump. The gauge set has R134 quick-disconnects. I set it up to evacuate > the system (and leak check) through the yellow line, pumping down both the > hi and lo sides. I was able to evacuate it down to about 27 or 28 in. Hg > after 30 minutes, and after closing off the valves, it did not increase a > bit after one hour. However I discovered that the high side schrader valve > (with the R134 adapter screwed on to it, of course) was not opened, and I > had only pumped out from the lo side. I looked closer at the schrader valve > after removing the adapter, and some mechanic in the past plugged up the > inside of it with something that looks like black plastic. It seems harder > than RTV, but its not JB Weld at least. I might be able to dig it out and > put in a new valve. I suspect that they found it leaking there, and rather > than take the time to install a new schrader valve body, they just plugged > it up and replaced the metal screw cap over it. Question is, I heard or read > somewhere that you are not supposed to use the usual valve body like for a > tire or for R12... it needs to be a special one. Is this true? If there is > no way to repair the hi side service valve, I will just recharge it and not > be able to see what the high side pressure is...but I really want to be able > to do it the right way. > > I also found out that the vac pump WON'T pull the oil out of the > system, despite what the guy behind the counter at Autozone said.... and > since all the R-12 oil should still be in the system, I didn't proceed with > the recharge. The compressor is the low point, so I would imagine it is all > down in or near the compressor. > I don't have an air compressor, but I saw that you can buy complete > flush kits using canned air. Does it usually take a whole gallon of the > flush agent to do the job? It is sure expensive, $12.00 for just a quart of > it at Autozone. But I found one site on the Web that has a complete kit with > the flush chemical for about $40.00 > What is your recommendation on a flush kit? What are the chances of > screwing up the compressor seals or inducing a leak by pulling the lines off > of the compressor (or elsewhere) on a car going on 20 year old? > Also, is it better to install some UV dye, or is the cheap red dye good > enough? > I am going to get the system flushed, probably change the

receiver/dryer

too, and THEN recharge. Thanks! > >
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I don't know.... I'm impressed with the proper technique observed so far... but he's worried about not pulling a vacuum from both the high and low side ports?

If you pull a good vacuum on the low side only, it'll be pulled in the entire system.

I can't believe somebody would put gunk in the high side port like that... unless they had already changed the valve a few times and got tired of it continuing to leak. In any case, I doubt you'll be able to dig it out enough to keep some from going in the system once you remove the valve.

Of course.. If you are flushing....

Reply to
Clem