Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

wrote:

You may want to take a look at some of the Cat equipment they are now selling. You will find it is actually manufactured by Mitsubishi and other international companies instead of Cat in their USA plants. It appears Cat is competing with the import equipment with the same equipment from the same factories at a price disadvantage using only their reputation and product support as strong points.
Lugnut
lugnut wrote:

SC wrote:

I don't have anything more recent than 2 years old, but back then I didn't see anything by Cat's competitors saying they thought they were better than Cat, and Cat's factories were still the best. In contrast, for at least 10 years GM's factories have been worse than Toyota's and Honda's, and they need several more hours to build each vehicle. GM also doesn't invest as much per chassis and may have fewer than half the engineers per platform that Honda has, which can't be good even if GM can spread its money and engineers over more platforms.