Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Page 4 of 8
Mike Hunter wrote:

I don't KNOW it. It's my opinion. It's a pretty strong one, but it's still an opinion. Now, I base that opinion on many observations. One of them is that I somewhat rarely see anyone actually use the space or the off-road capabilities -- except for contractors, etc. I also see an awful lot of them running around with only one person in them. That's not an SUV-only phenomenon, but at least with a smaller vehicle you're not eating so much gas. Again, these are only my opinions.

I only had two children so I can't say for sure that I wouldn't need an SUV with three, but my opinion is that I still wouldn't get one.

I'd agree that five children would be a problem with a 'standard' vehicle. Depending on your beliefs, five children is a choice too.

My car requires premium so I am not overly concerned (obviously) about getting the cheapest fuel.

Everyone makes their own choices based on what they want or need. Sometimes, those would not be my choices but them we get more to talk about.
That statement makes me wonder even more why you said; >>> I'm saying that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them ... when over half the buyer in the US are choosing the light trucks and SUVs want or need, if that is your opinion? ;)

Mike Hunter wrote:

This isn't really that difficult a concept to grasp. I'm saying they don't NEED SUV's. They may WANT them. They may buy lots of them. But they don't NEED them. (Of course, that's my opinion.)
OK?
You would have saved a lot of trouble, if you would have said, in my opinion, I think, or I believe, anything that would indicated it was your opinion rather than expecting anybody to believe that you actually know that most people do not need SUVs. That was why I asked the question how do you know most people do not need SUVs? ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

I think you need to reread what I wrote.
You mean this; >>> I'm saying that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them ...?
mike hunt

Mike, My niece and her husband have only one child. They have a SUV. If you saw them in their SUV, it would be easy to assume that they should own a car or mini-van instead of the SUV. However, their home is located about one mile from the state road. They have to drive on a dirt road and across a bridge in order to get to their home. In the winter and during rain storms--the dirt road becomes muddy and the bridge becomes very slick. You should NOT assume that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them. I am certain that MOST of the people that own SUVs have excellent reasons for owning an SUV instead of a van or car. This is NOT a communist country. People have rights to buy almost any type of vehicle they want to buy. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
I would not assume anything, I agree, the buyer is the only one who know what the need. That is why I asked the question, 'how do you know the do not need them' when the post said, >>> I'm saying that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them ...? ;)

Mike Hunter wrote:

If you actually read what I wrote, you might (but maybe not) see that I not only stated very early that it was my opinion, but a bit later in the thread I also explained how I formed my opinion. If you did that, maybe you'd stop asking the same question repeatedly that I have answered repeatedly.
I thought one reason for posting here was to state and discuss opinions -- as long as they are not stated as fact.
Jason wrote:

I didn't say they couldn't buy whatever they want to for whatever reasons they can come up with. I stated my opinion. You seem to disagree. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion just like I am. But please don't bring up Communism.
Communism.?
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

That's what he said. It's still in his quote below if you look for it.

Well put. I said essentially the same thing recently to a liberal friend who was off and running on the standard lefty rant against people who drive SUVs.
My only beef with SUVs is practical, not political: it's that I can't see around the goddam things. That being said, it's far more meaningful to me that people here in America have the right to buy and drive whatever they want, and can afford, to buy and drive. Don't like SUVs? Then don't buy one.
Geoff
--
"Round noses were good enough for Lee Harvey Oswald,
they're good enough for me." -- Rich McAllister
Geoff Miller wrote:

I agree with everything you wrote -- including the parts about not being able to see around them.
If that is the case you must really hate six wheelers and semis ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

I only hate being behind them.

I bet you'd hate being in front of them more if you had to make a panic stop!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On 25 Apr 2006 06:36:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

Really? People have a right to drive whatever they want? I guess I missed that in the Constitution.
Here is a fact for you. You absolutely do not have a right to drive whatever you want. In fact, you don't have a right to drive anything on the public roads. You may qualify for the privilege of driving legal vehicles on the roads in conformity with all laws and restrictions. Once so qualified, you may purchase and any vehicle you are licensed to drive which is legal for use on public roads, subject to many restrictions. For example, you are not be allowed to operate a heavy truck on many roads. On some roads, you can not operate a pickup.
So what is the argument about? It is about what (not whether) restrictions should apply to the size and construction of passenger vehicles and how we will permit them to be operated on public roads.
Now that we have established that you do not have a right to drive anything you want, we can discuss what you should be allowed to drive and under what circumstances and qualifications.

Unfortunately, the collective decision of million of people to replace cars with SUVs has adverse effects on highway safety, pollution, traffic congestion and fuel costs for everyone. That is why there are restrictions on what you can drive on public roads.
Gordon McGrew cried out

Well said, you can't drive a lawn tractor down the interstate can you? A texas driver with a class c (standard) licence can not legally purchase a class a (commerical semi) vehicle nor operate such vehcile on public roads.
Perhaps, but w can still buy one of they want. The government call not controll what vehicles buyers choose to buy. They can requlate what we buy via a perversion of the Commerce clause but not what we buy, as long as it meets of the current regualtions, The environuts have tried for years to dictate what we buy againe with more perversions of the Commerce clause like setting fuel and safety standards, but they have yet to ontroll what we buy. They would love to do so, sort of like the former USSR
mike hunt
Unfortunately, the collective decision of million of people to