Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Yes, and why does Toyota have the market share that it does? For one thing, I've driven my 93 Corolla to 220,000 miles with a lot less maintenance than any American vehicle I've ever owned. I've never even rolled the odometer on ANY american vehicle. In our family we've owned or driven:
37 Olds (Engine was so worn by 100,000, the owner was using 50 weight oil.) 52 Chevy (Threw a rod at 4 years old.) 55 Plymouth Belvedere (Body was rusting out at 90,000) 63 Chevy II 300 (Body was rusting out at 67,000) 62 Corvair 700 coupe (Body was rusting out and the engine was having some major issues at 92,000) 66 Chevelle SS 396 (Body was rusted through the floor in back. And the engine was not what it used to be.) 95 S-10 (Body was starting to rust at 50,000 and the engine was in 4 times for repairs and still didn't work right.)
And I have a friend who owns a Ford Escort that she has driven exactly 2 days in the last 6 months. It's earning it's Fix Or Repair Daily badge the hard way. Actually I think that one is an F***d Over Rebuilt Dodge. I'm not even going to start the litany of what has been repaired on it in the last 6 months.
American cars, in the main, just don't hold up like our little Toyotas. Not without a lot of help. That's why Toyota has made such inroads into market share. If America wants their market share back, we're going to have to do something besides business as usual. They should have got that message in 1959, when VW hit 10% of the market.
Charles of Schaumburg
That is because in your opinion Toyotas vehicles are better than those of GM and Ford. I've owned both domestic and imports lots of them and I don't find any, that one can buy TODAY, to be significantly better than any other. In my professional opinion all manufactures are building good reliable vehicles today and the only real difference is style and price. I'm simply pointing out that the opinion that some how Toyotas are superior is just that, Toyota buyers opinion. Toyota buyers bashing the domestics in a NG seems foolish
The fact is vast majority of buyers selecting from all of the vehicles offered for sale, TODAY in the US, they are choosing to buy more of those offered by GM, Ford and Chrysler than they are of all the twenty some brands of imports
Back then did you think VW would put GM out of business as well? ;)
mike hunt
wrote in message If America wants their market share back, we're going to have to do

LOL!!!
Ohhh, thanks!! That's a great laugh! Talking about the modern condition of GM, and you bring up vehicles the NEWEST of which is 10+ years old., and the NEXT newest is _40_ years old!!!

lemon laws apply, if she bought it new. If not, buyer beware. You could get a beat up, crapped out Toyota too.

I think that's 100% unfair. Nowordays, I happen to think the big 2 american manufacturers build very durable, reliable cars. However, that being said, I think the Japanese, sometimes Korean, and sometimes VW continue to put together their cars as the "whole package"... ride, quality, reliability, interiors that aren't an embarrassment, state-of-the-art engines, transmissions that are advanced, more power from smaller powerplants that get better gas mileage.
I'm so FRIGGIN' tired of seeing a brand new GM car that should be competitive, and it's continually hamstrung by a series of stupid, short- sighted, or cost cutting moves! (to be fair, sometimes the current designs are paying for the short-sightedness of previous management) Take the Malibu (please). A pleasant car, with FINALLY an interior you wouldn't be embarrassed by. and a 4 speed auto, when the competition has gone to 5 speed. a v6 to get the same performance as the camry or accord 4-cylinders. oh, and the v6 is a push-rod. And the styling...bland at best. Overall, not a bad car, but it's just another one where all these little things add up and you just can't make a case that it's a better choice than an import.
Bluntly, and they're moving this way quickly thanks to Lutz, they need to STOP making excuses and start making the Japanese manufacturers think "why didn't we think of that?" JP
(as a side note, if I was in the market for a near-$20k new car, I'd buy a Fusion hands down.)
Can't prove it by me, I own a 1971 Pinto with nearly 300K on the clock. I have yet to see a 1971 Toyota at any of the cars shows I have attended LOL
mike hunt