Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Page 1 of 2
Sure they do, Toyota builds most of their vehicles at lower cost overseas, or assembles them in the US with imported parts, pay their employees less
and offer then fewer benefits and they do not pay US federal corporate income taxes on the profit earned in the US. ;)
Every manufacturer makes more on trucks than cars, especially FWD vehicles ;)
mike hunt
Gordon McGrew

mike, Please stop top posting--it makes it hard to follow a thread.
You may not know that GM and Ford does have factories in foreign countries. I don't have a list of those countries in front of me. If anyone does know the couuntries where those factories are located, please post the list. I seem to recall that GM and Ford has factories in Mexico.
Several years ago, I recall reading stories in car magazines indicating that Ford and GM offered special deals for people that purchased Ford and GM cars--they would pay all the interest on car loans. They sold lots of cars but were not making very much money due to millions of dollars they had to pay to fund those interest costs. Honda and Toyota does not need to do these types of things to sell cars so they make more money than Ford or GM on every car that they sell.
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Gordon McGrew

Yes they do GM, Ford and Chrysler STILL sell more vehicle in the US than do any of the imports. ;)
mike

Sure they do but the vast majority of the cars, with the Ford brand name on them sold in the US, are made in the US. The rest are made mostly in Canada and the balance in Mexico of north American parts. Ford does not import any of the vehicles, with the Ford brand name, that it builds off shore. The only notable exception would be the Volvo brand.. On other hand, unlike Honda, most of Toyota brands, from the Scion to the Lexus are imports or merely assembled here of mostly imported parts.
mike hunt

I fail to see you point. Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Austin Martin are their own brand and the only ones imported in any numbers are Volvo and Mazda. Mazda is not owned by Ford. I believe you are confusing Japanese vehicles made by a Ford partner, or European companies that are owed by Ford, with the Ford Division. They are not 'Fords' or counted as FMC vehicles, as part its market share, as are Lincoln and Mercury. Scion, Toyota and Lexus are all TMC(SALES) in the US, as part its market share, and the majority are imported from Japan or made in Canada, not assembled in the US of more than 70% American parts, as you seem to believe
The Aspire was built by KIA not Mazda and is no longer sold by Ford, nor is there currently any other rebaged import sold as a Ford.
mike hunt

It is incredibly had to follow this thread.
Please stop top posting.
Jeff

I'll try to remeber that next time
mike hunt

I fail to see you point. Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Austin Martin are their own brand and the only ones imported in any numbers are Volvo and Mazda. Mazda is not owned by Ford. I believe you are confusing Japanese vehicles made by a Ford partner, or European companies that are owed by Ford, with the Ford Division. They are not 'Fords' or counted as FMC vehicles, as part its market share, as are Lincoln and Mercury. Scion, Toyota and Lexus are all TMC(SALES) in the US, as part its market share, and the majority are imported from Japan or made in Canada, not assembled in the US of more than 70% American parts, as you seem to believe
The Aspire was built by KIA not Mazda and is no longer sold by Ford, nor is there currently any other rebaged import sold as a Ford.
mike hunt

Mike, You seem to know a lot about Ford cars and trucks. Therefore, please answer these questions: Do any of Ford cars have engines made by foreign car companies?
Do Ford cars have parts in them that were made in foreign countries?
I should note that I don't know the answers to either question. I know that I once owned a Dodge Ram 50 pickup that had an engine in it that was made by Mitsubishi.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

No, but the do use two engines made by Ford companies off shore, one from Europe and one from Japan as well as some hybrid copmponants and transmissions from partners

Yes a small percange in some models. Mostly from Canada and Mexico

Actually, last year, more than a 1/5 of the components were built outside the US and Canada. Domestic content includes components built in both the US and Canada. So the Toyota Sienna has 90% domestic content (Canada and US) while the Ford Mustang has 65% domestic content (Canada/US).
So Ford had a lot more than 20% built outside the US.
http://newsletter.csmauto.com/4thQtr2005/charts/article3.gif
Thanks for posting inline. It makes it easier to read.
Jeff
Really? Then why is the first number of the VIN on the Sienna a '4' and first number of the VIN on the Mustang a '1,' as required by federal law? Surely you don't believe Camrys built in Japan are built with American parts, do you. LOL
mike hunt

. Domestic content includes components built in both the US

Gordon McGrew

One only need look at the first digit of the VIN, on the individual vehicle, to see where it is made, and the percentage of American parts. A '1' indicates made in America of more than 70% American parts. A '4' indicates made in America of more than 40 % American parts but less than 70% American parts. A '5' indicates made in America of less than 40% American parts. A '2' indicates made in Canada A '3' indicates made Mexico and a 'J' indicates made in Japan. On Toyotas, except for those made in the GM?Toyota plant in California which have a '1,' will exhibit a '4,' '5,' or 'J.'
mike hunt

Whether you like it or not the 'evidence' you seek is in the first digit of the VIN, as defined by federal law, and it is as a described.
If your Sienna is indeed, as you suggest, then the first number will be a '1,' as it is on the Toyotas and Vibes made in the GM/Toyota plant in California, the Honda Accord or the Ford F150 all vehicles that are actually built in the US of more than 70% American parts. You will not find a '4' or '5' as is the case with most of the Sienna, Camrys and Tundras that I see on the east coast.
If you have a problem with how I post, don't open my posts, WBMA
mike hunt

If you have a problem with how I post, don't open my posts, WBMA