Re: Re: 98 Contour Chokes when Accellerating

"Jeff41" wrote:
> >  >> >   >>>"RunBoris" wrote: >   >>>
>   >>>>Really??? That sounds great, even if that > isn't the real >   >>>>problem! Is this a recall only for cars that > have a problem? >   >>>>Reason I ask is because I have checked the > available recalls >   >>>>on Ford's website, and the only thing listed > was the blower >   >>>>resister, which I've recently done. Thanks for > the info! I'll >   >>>>see what the mechanic says about me car this > morning; tow >   >>>>truck is en route. Thanks again! >   >>> >   >>>I nearly crapped my pants when the mechanic > called me back... He said >   >>>he believes the timing belt has jumped, and the > estimate was $1550+. >   >>>So, how difficult would this be to fix myself? > And is $1550 a >   >>>realistic price from a mechanic, or is he BSing > me? >  >> >  >> >  >> The V6 has a timing chain. If it jumped, it might > cause damage to the >  >> pistons, cylinder heads and valves. However, if it is > an non-interference >  >> engine, it might not cause any harm, other than > require replacing the >  >> chain. >  >> >  >> Jeff > > His car has a 2.0L 4 cyl. They were "supposed" to be > non-interference, > > but they aren't. If the cam timing jumps they usually trash > a couple of > > valves. > > The original poster had a V6. Sorry for the confusion. > > Jeff
Iím curious to know if the car got fixed..what was the outcome?
I have the exact same problem with my 98 cotour with 145K. My timing belt did go out about 6 months ago, but did not damage the engine. Belt was replaced and car ran fine for about a month. Then the same problem youíre desrcibing happend. I changed the sparkplug wires...ran good for a while and it started hesitating on accelaration again...also got a #4 misfire code...I suspect car is running lean, which is why the spark plugs are fouling. The questin is why?
Not sure what the problem is. Itís driving me nuts. I have read all types of soltuions (O2 sensor, MAF, fuel filter etc), but have not seen one yet that seems to fix it.
Mike
‚úĖ
"mmux" wrote: > I'm curious to know if the car got fixed..what was the > outcome? > > I have the exact same problem with my 98 cotour with 145K. My > timing belt did go out about 6 months ago, but did not damage > the engine. Belt was replaced and car ran fine for about a > month. Then the same problem you're desrcibing happend. I > changed the sparkplug wires...ran good for a while and it > started hesitating on accelaration again...also got a #4 > misfire code...I suspect car is running lean, which is why the > spark plugs are fouling. The questin is why? > > Not sure what the problem is. It's driving me nuts. I have > read all types of soltuions (O2 sensor, MAF, fuel filter etc), > but have not seen one yet that seems to fix it. > > Mike
Yes, I did get the car fixed. My total bill, including the tow, was right at $1800. Now, I donít think what I was told is right because if my timing belt broke or fell off while the car was running, I imagine the car would stop at that time. But, I was able to make it from place to place for a long time. The car didnít stop working until one morning before work. I have never seen a belt break or fall off while sitting still... Also, even if the belt magically fell/broke, how could the valves be damaged? The engine wasnít running!
If someone can explain how this happened, that would be wonderful...
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Usually what happens is the belt jumps a tooth or two, and the car still runs, but it is pretty guttless. The engine may also get noisy - and the pistons and valves start to "shake hands" Eventually the valves bend enough that they don't seal well enough to start the car, or when you go to start it one morning, it jumps another tooth and the piston gives the valves the "kiss of death".
As for the engine running lean and throwing codes, my 2.5 Mystique was throwing a code every 5 days or so. Two codes actually, bank 1 lean and bank 2 lean.
I had a "motorvac" fuel system cleaner run on it 3 weeks ago, and the light has not come on since. I strongly suspect I had a few dirty injectors (car has 94000km on it)
Add pictures here
‚úĖ