Re: Re: Automakers Lengthen Oil Change Intervals

snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com says...

In your uneducated opinion.

What...the...fuck? Yeah BMW installs a 400 deg T-stats now...

Do you have a stockpile of 35 year old oil or something? Your knowledge of oil is clearly obsolete.

Funny... I've seen more than enough vehicles with 3 times that mileage that use extended oil change intervals that I can make the same claims about.

Yeah Snoball recommends cheap oil with no silly "API donut".
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:00:02 -0500, Heatwave

No. But the thermostat has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the upper operating temp of an engine. It only controls the MINIMUM operating temperature, which you would know if you had half a clue about automobile mechanics.

And today's oil, in some important ways, is INFERIOR to oil of as little as 5 years ago. Due to concerns about catalytic converter poisoning, the zinc and phosphorous based extreme pressure additives have been all but eliminated fron current automotive spec oils. Nothing has been found that is as effective as an extreme pressure additive as the old zinc/phospourous combination.

And the Chryco, Toyota, and Honda techs I speak to say the much discussed "coking" problems do NOT EXIST on engines where the oil is changed on the "extreme service" schedule. Period.