Re: Repeatedly Running On A Low Tank?

So why did changing the recommendation alter the behavior of people? If you are going to ignore a 7500/5000 recommendation, aren't you just as likely to ignore a 5k recommendation? I suppose the maintenance required light might help, but I know more than a few people who are comfortable ignoring those as well.

In Europe Toyotas have 10K mile oil change recommendations (see page 12 of http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/OwnerServices/BriefGuides/COROLLA.pdf ). I wonder why in the US, they specify 5K oil changes. My SO keeps telling me that her old Toyota (a mid-80s Camry) only required 10K oil changes - I think it actually required 7500 mile oil changes, but who am I to argue with her. Either way, it was not the engine that gave her the most trouble, it was the transmission.
Ed
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:11:17 -0400, C. E. White wrote:

So that people who did heed the recommendation would tighten up a little bit, and those who didn't were SOL...?
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:11:17 -0400, "C. E. White"

Reason number 1? Different oil spec.