Re: Replacing struts: 99 Taurus

Eric Toline opined in 2318.public.lawson.webtv.net:

If the cupping is fairly even around the entire tread, the problem is usually shocks.
If NOT evenly distributed, bad tires or balancing... or both.
Stay away from discount retail store tires... esp NAtional brands, in my experience.
Add pictures here
âś–
Re: Replacing struts: 99 Taurus Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2003, 3:35am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@Yaywho.com (Backyard Mechanic) Eric Toline opined in 2318.public.lawson.webtv.net:
Is front strut replacement mileage dependent or for other reasons? Case in point, 49k on the car with no shake, wobble or other handling factors that might indicate replacement is needed. OTOH, tire cupping develops on new tires at about 15k miles even with rotation every 4-5k miles. Before I have the struts replaced is there something else that might cause the cupping? Eric
If the cupping is fairly even around the entire tread, the problem is usually shocks.<<<<<<
Yes it seems to be, particularly at the edges of the tires more than the center part.
If NOT evenly distributed, bad tires or balancing... or both. <<<<<<<<
relativly new tires with about 16-18k miles on them. Had the balance checked within the last two weeks, all ok. The tires are unidirectional if that helps.
Stay away from discount retail store tires... esp national brands, in my experience.<<<<<<
This statement I don't quite understand. Could you explain further? Are you saying that I should buy tires from a place that only carrys one brand of tires (like Goodyear for example) rather than from a tire discount shop like Tire Kingdom that carrys many brands? If so, why?
Eric
Add pictures here
âś–
Eric Toline opined

New tires, esp inexpensive ones... can be bad out of the box... doubtful ALL of them are, though

I mean retail stores, Sam's Walmart Kmart.. which sell a cheap version of national branded.. like "Goodyear Fluenza"
I had good luck with "Discount Tire".. www.tires.com
Unfortunately, it MAY be your shocks.. but that a DOWN side to rotation.
Add pictures here
âś–