Re: Results of Weekend Shopping for a New Car For My Mother

wrote:

She bought a four cylinder front wheel drive Toyota Highlander! Come on, this is not a Excursion, it is a Camry wagon (more or less). The EPA rates it 20 city, 27 Highway, 22 Combined.....not as good os the Camry, but about the same as an Avalon and a lot better than any mid-sized SUV.
Have you actually been in a Highlander?
Ed
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

I hear ya - I have a 4 cyl, 5-speed stick, FWD '06 Saturn Vue and they (NY State and Saturn) classify it as a SUV. After I bought it and had it in for it's 1st and last dealer service they let me know my "truck" was ready. At the counter I told the guy "my '99 F150 is a truck - and that's a small truck as it is when talking about trucks - This is not a truck" .....he smiled and said that he knows, but they make him call it that and he'd get in trouble if he didn't. (BTW - Gotta say that the VUE has 95K on it and not one prob...Still won't buy another though...they won't be around anyway by the time I'm ready to look):)
I agree with you though - I have my SUV (and I hesitate calling it that) because they don't make wagons anymore I guess...These are the Ford Country Squires, Plymouth Fury's and Impala/Caprice wagons of today...I have 2 kids and soccer/karate/etc practices to play chauffeur with and it gets 30mpg in the summer and 27 winter. Some people are getting conditioned to automatically see someone buying an SUV or say "why do you need that?" and scorn you without knowing that it gets better mileage than the car they're driving...Sad state of affairs in this country...People are sheep doing what they're told, feeling the way they're told they're supposed to feel based on spoon fed crap instead of using their own noggin: SUV = BAD - CAR = GOOD. Get what you need...Need the room but not 4WD or a 6 cyl...
Sorry for the ramblings...
IYM wrote:

It's okay, I was sad to see the only car mentioned in the bible be discontinued (God drove Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden in his Fury).
SMS wrote:

yea, the Fury was the last wagon my family owned when I was a kid and it went before it's time...It was the first new car my family bought (replaced a Rambler Wagon) and it got wrecked in a snowstorm accident when a lady lost it on a highway and came down the hill sideways and got the front end in her passenger seat. As a kid, I thought the headlight covers opening/closing and top of the fender amber turn signal indicators were the coolest things! lol After the Fury, the gas prices went nuts and it was a pick-up truck when we needed to haul stuff and a Chevette when we needed to haul butt...
Sure "they" still make "wagons," at least Ford still makes wagons. Wagons were simply a version of the sedan chassis. Both the Flex and the new Lincoln MKT are built on the new Taurus chassis, both are available in two and AWD.

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 06:58:23 -0700, SMS wrote:

SMS wrote:

I heard that the apostles were "all in one Accord".
--
aMAZon
zeszutko at nycap.rr.com
One can still buy a "station wagon" from Ford. It is called the Flex, built on the Taurus chassis.

You can also buy the Lincoln verison of it as well, it's called the MKT.
Derek
Mike Hunter wrote:

$28k MSRP for a base Flex is more than alot of mothers want to pay for a station wagon.
My Mom recently replaced a 96 Sable wagon to a new Subaru Outback for alot less money. Two different cars, I know... but the moment she saw the price the Flex was not in the running.