Re: Speed bleeders

I saw the same thing at Pep Boys last week... I think they were like $4 a pop (I may be wrong though)... So you may want to check locally before getting them from online.

------snip---------------------
I converted an old pump sprayer into a power bleeder. Took the pump mechanism out and put a metal tube thru the middle with a ball valve on the end and attached it to my air compressor. Took the wand end of the sprayer and changed the hose and mounted it to a master cylinder cap (used chain to hold it in place on the master cylinder) and cracked the ball valve. I run about 20 psi into the tank which I filled with brake fluid. Now I just go to the farthest bleeder and work my way back to the closest bleeder without fear of running out of brake fluid. I may have about 15 bucks into the thing mostly due to the fact that I had most of the parts lying around.
Sans Nom wrote:

sounds good to me, that is what i might do as i want a power bleeder...
BOB URZ wrote:

yes i have the mity-Vac also, bought it to test mostly the vacuum motor type things.. never used it in the brake mode.. i dont think it will handle much fluid, but will suck the air out of the line....i got mine at autozone for about $25.00 went to harbor freight and they were selling it for about $32.00 same item on the plastic card, complete with all the fittings and the brake reservoir tank......

I put those types of bleeder nuts on my Mustang last time I did a brake job and was quite pleased with them... in fact it's the only gadget I've ever found for bleeding brakes that worked for me, and I've tried pretty much all of them. As long as you have a hose attached to the bleeder nut that runs into a container full of fluid, and the end of the hose stays below the surface of the fluid, bubbles won't go back up into the line and you can see when all the air has been pushed out. The nice thing with those nuts is you can take a large plastic container (I use 1 liter juice bottles), set it under the car, run the hose from the nut down into the bottle, and then go pump the brakes without having to keep an eye on the bottle and hose. You give it maybe six or seven pumps, check the fluid level in the master cylinder, check the hose for bubbles, and keep repeating until it's finished.
Lots of places sell those things, not just the site you listed. Many race shops carry them, and I think Russel manufactures them as well. It's possible that these guys are the main source for them, but that doesn't mean they're cheapest. Shop around first.
                                Bryan
The Hurdy Gurdy Man wrote:

thanks for the reply, i just got to get some when flushing my brake fluid as i dont do too good bleeding brakes.. kinda hard to be in two places at one time....
I've had pretty good luck just using gravity for some of my vehicles.
When you open the bleeder, gravity pulls the fluid down through the system. (Reservoir cap off) Tap the caliper / wheel cylinder that you're bleeding to dislodge bubbles. Stop when only fluid comes out of the bleeder.
Just keep the reservoir from emptying.

the
job
ever