Re: Still Lacking "PLANS," GM, Ford, Chrysler DEMAND Bailouts -- But What About CAFE "Increases" By 2020? Are We Suckers, Or What?

>> > The correct solution to the problem would be to do away with CAFE >> > altogether but raise fuel taxes (which is effectively the same thing >> > as taxing CO2 emissions, but waaaaay simpler) and let the market >> > sort >> > out who "needs" a truck and who doesn't. >> >> This is the correct solution, except the Republicans made any sort of >> increase in taxes the equivalent of baby killing. >> >> Ed > > Well then lower the income tax commensurately, especially for lower > income people to whom the gas tax would hit harder. This ain't rocket > surgery. (it is, however, somewhat akin to herding felines.)

lower income people (at least those that have reproduced) don't pay federal income tax. For them to file an income tax return not only gets back all their withholding but some extra money on top of it.

Reply to
Brent