Re: Stopping pinging in 98 Marquis

Joel Ryan wrote:

I have heard the same thing about carbon build up. Might run some Sea Foam through it to clean out the carbon. I find it at the auto parts stores for less that $6.00 a can. A lot of us motorcycle riders use it with good results. Just a can put it in the tank and use the octane the car calls for.It might take a couple of cans/tanks to clear it out. Or it could be a knock sensor, if the car has one which adjusts the timing when it senses the pre detonation. Another good one recommended by a Volkswagen mechanic it a product made by Chevron called Techroline (sp?). It might be easier to find. Good luck!
--
el lobo

That's it! Dang, that's what happens when you become kinda senior like ;)
--
el lobo

owner wrote:
Common problem of pinging on earlier 90's version of this 4.6L engine was soft carbon clogging EGR passage below the throttle body adapter to intake manifold connection. Fix is not too difficult for DIYer and is free if you are able to reuse gasket. Remove the TB adapter from the manifold and clean it out. Stan K.
Joel Ryan wrote:

Hey, not that this'll help.....but who knows
I have an 83 grandmarquis, 302, efi. And sometimes it gets crap stuck in the EGR valve, too...ever once in a while we just take it off and blow it out with the old air compresser.
Nic

was
intake