Re: tom fails basic electricity

you see, that is your problem. you do not understand automotive systems.

>when the diodes in an alternators voltage regulator circuit short out, they >act just like a voltage regulator in a 60's car. they will drain the >battery. but then since you are a god and know everything and are never >wrong, you must be correct and all the alternators that have been changed >due to draining the battery were actually just money thrown away, and the >problem fixed itself after that money was wasted.

pssssssst you need a load to cause drain tom lmfao how can a coil which is open cause a drain when not spinning

LMFAO

Reply to
formoco

As has already been stated, "of course diodes never fail shorted, right" , does this answer your question?

Reply to
Michael Bowden

so where is the load?? LMFAO field voltage in new cars is controlled by the pcm

case closed

unless 1960 comes back LMFAO

hurc ast

Reply to
formoco

The diodes on the load side of the alternator are on the stator. The alternator is a three phase type with a power diode pair for each phase (full wave rectifier). If one of these diode pairs short on any phase of the stator, there is a direct path to ground through these shorted stator diodes. These diodes are hard wired in and there is no break in the circuit if the car is off (other than high current fusible link/mega fuse). There is no current flow if the diodes are intact (non running car). If any phase pair is shorted, the current flow will be from the battery through the shorted diodes to ground. I this case, the "LOAD" is the shorted pair of stator diodes. Does it happen often? no. But its possible.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

What coil is open? Face it "kid" you don't know SQUAT about auto-electric - or even cars in general.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce