Re: Toyotas & Honda ETC.

For the reasons you point out, as well as the fact they all must meet the same CAFE, EPA and NHTSA crash standards, is why every manufacture TODAY is making great, low maintenance, long lasting vehicles.

Given the proper preventive maintenance ANY car TODAY will easily last ten years or 200,000 miles and certain will be trouble free for the three to four years that the average NEW car buyer keeps their car then trades it on another new car.

The only real difference among them is style and price. Pick the ONE you like that best suits YOUR needs, then BUY the ONE with best 'total drive home price' that suits you budget home.

More importantly never take the advice, good or bad, from some other person chose, the ONE you buy will NEVER be the same as their ONE car.

Toyotas go too fast, Honda's cant stop > > does anyone think auto companies are any different in quality they use > the same suppliers, same design shops, same material suppliers, assembled > from parts from all over the world. some use the same tool shops for > production tooling, same robot suppliers, etc. I know what the replies > will be try and give some constructive feed back, not GM Sucks, UAW > problems, overpaid managers,etc
Reply to
Mike Hunter

Canuck57

Perhaps, IF you talk to someone who has owned a FLEET of the SAME model(s,) but certainly not to someone only owned ONE of them. Just because you owned ONE that was problematic, or was not problematic, does not mean the ONE someone else buys will be the same, be it good or bad.

For example you keep harping about bad GM vehicles when obviously most people who are CURRENTLY still buy more vehicles from GM than any other brand, do not agree with your assessment of the one or several that you may have found to be problematic. Good be you abused, or did not properly maintained, the one or few you owned.

A manufacturer does not continue to sell more than any other manufacture of the same product if all they made were turned out to be problematic, dummy.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How many VEGAS did GM sell? ANd how many people bought a SECOND one?????

Disproves your theory, methinks.

Reply to
clare

And Olds Firenza, Bobcat, Geo...

Or how about if the plastic manifold goes just outside of warranty.

I thinks you are right.

And Mike does not want to admit GM is #1 only in defunct debt. Sure isn't sales.

Reply to
Canuck57

In message , Canuck57 writes

Japanese cars are the most reliable, followed by Korean, European then at the bottom of the heap come American.

Reply to
Clive

It depends on the model. Some American cars are great, other suck. American cars were more likely to bad than Japanese cars, although I don't know if that is still the case.

Reply to
dr_jeff

Depends on who you listen to. Consumer Reports reliability list is similar to what you describe, although Ford is ahead of the Germans even there. Here's the very latest JD Power Dependability data (released yesterday):

The top brand vehicles:

1) Porsche 2) Lincoln 3) Buick 4) Lexus 5) Mercury 6) Toyota 7) Honda 8) Ford 9) Mercedes 10) Acura

Note there are NO Korean makes in the top 10 (only Hyundai is above industry average). You really can't judge by regional origination any more - you have to look at each manufacturer closely. I trust the Power data a more than the CR data because their methodology is more scientific.

Derek Gee

You forgot Russian and Indian. They are still below American - even though Russia is really part of Europe.

Reply to
clare

Give JDPower money, and they will print what you like. Guaranteed.

Probably sampled that in Detroit.

Reply to
Canuck57

In message , Derek Gee writes

How?

Reply to
Clive

In message , snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

We do get cars from India rebadged as Suzuki, Nissan etc. These seam to be OK in fact we've been getting Indian cars since Rover (now demised) used to import their City Rover for 3000UKP then sell it for 6000UKP. Russian cars were imported in the shape of Lada, until our emissions regulations changed in 92, and as they couldn't get the Platinum or Palladium for the catalytic converters, they where no longer allowed to be imported.

Reply to
Clive

BS - if that were the case, why wouldn't Toyota be #1 every year, they have the most money to buy off the survey.

Derek Gee

From what I've been able to gather about the IQS and VDS surveys, it's a 44 point questionaire with specific questions about stuff like handling, braking, seats, audio systems etc. It's better than just asking which areas did you have a "problem" with and asking the user to check a single box.

Derek Gee

The fact that is missing BMW tells me it is BS. I would prize the BMW brand over Buick and Mercury any day. If I lined up a BMW, Buick and Mercury and gave you a choice of which one is yours to keep, you would make strait for the BMW.

Or I would.

Reply to
Canuck57

Does that mean if you asked ten Vega owners and they told you they were great cars, that you would buy one?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You personal opinion does not jive with the fact the top selling vehicle in the world is a Ford and has been for 32 years and the fact that GM sells more vehicles in the US than any other manufacturer and both GM and Ford out sell all of the Jap, Korean, and European manufactures with the lone exception of Toyota?

Reply to
Mike Hunter