Re: Toyotas & Honda ETC.

Page 2 of 3

Can't be BS - even Consumer Reports note they have problems. "Reliabilty has dropped for some models." p15 April 2010 issue If you dig further in the issue (pgs 40-41), the specific models with problems are:
BMW 1 series BMW 5 series BMW X3 BMW X5
All are below average or well below average according to them. Not acceptable for a #1.
Derek
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling

How?
--
Clive

writes

From what I've been able to gather about the IQS and VDS surveys, it's a 44 point questionaire with specific questions about stuff like handling, braking, seats, audio systems etc. It's better than just asking which areas did you have a "problem" with and asking the user to check a single box.
Good example. Checking the box that asks yes or no, if you had a Transmission Problem can be anything from minor adjustment to the linkage, to a total failure on the CR survey and they do not quantify their replies.
writes

Do you know much about our "Which?" Surveys then.
--
Clive

writes

Sorry, I don't. They seem to be the equivalent of Consumer Reports here in the US, but I wasn't able to quickly locate any methodology info on the net.
Derek
That's easy, J D Power surveys are quantified, CRs reports are not, they use raw data.
writes

Biased by their advertising.
--
Clive

writes

Neither of those contain advertising. Power gives away the general results and sells deep dive info to the manufacturers. CR buys their cars at retail for reviews and relies on reader surveys for the reliability data.

Not here, they don't. They team up with other CR magazines in Europe and do their own tests. Puts JD Power in the shade.
--
Clive

why would merc be above ford?
The same reason Lexus is rated higher than Toyota. ;)

why would merc be above ford?

People pay more for the Mercury so they think it is a better car and report accordingly. Note that Lincoln is even higher.
If you look at the Zephyr, Milan, and Fusion, they all share a lot of components, including the people and machines that assemble them. I don't doubt the statistics as gathered by CR or J D Powers, but I do doubt the honesty of the people sending back those questionnaires. Sending back a poor report is saying "I made a poor choice in my selection of automobile"
I guess you must also believe that is why buyers think Toyotas are better, because they paid 20% to 30% MORE to drive home their Toyota than a domestic of the same size with similar equipment? ;)
wrote

Mike Hunter wrote:

Why does anyone do the things they do? Needs and wants, ego, greed, envy, Maslow's hierarchy of needs? I'm happy staying at the lower two levels, it's a lot of work to get to the top.
http://arellevalla.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/maslows-hierarchy.jpg

You forgot Russian and Indian. They are still below American - even though Russia is really part of Europe.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

We do get cars from India rebadged as Suzuki, Nissan etc. These seam to be OK in fact we've been getting Indian cars since Rover (now demised) used to import their City Rover for 3000UKP then sell it for 6000UKP. Russian cars were imported in the shape of Lada, until our emissions regulations changed in 92, and as they couldn't get the Platinum or Palladium for the catalytic converters, they where no longer allowed to be imported.
--
Clive

Here in North America we used to get the Lada, and also the Dacia (which was not Russian, but was eastern block))
We don't get anything Indian. Yet.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

Dacia and Logan are just stripped down Renaults, though owned by them, made for the eastern European market.
--
Clive